The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Re: Perfect Time...

What would you suggest? My thought is that at least all of that money wouldn't be focused in one place, therefore huge sums of money couldn't be spent lobbying for idiotic bills that do nothing but good for them, but bad for us as customers. I'm all for free market, as long as the free market was actually allowed to work without companies like these scheming in the background with their huge bags of money and undesirable machinations. I'm seriously at a loss for a solution otherwise.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

said by The Limit:

What would you suggest? My thought is that at least all of that money wouldn't be focused in one place, therefore huge sums of money couldn't be spent lobbying for idiotic bills that do nothing but good for them, but bad for us as customers. I'm all for free market, as long as the free market was actually allowed to work without companies like these scheming in the background with their huge bags of money and undesirable machinations. I'm seriously at a loss for a solution otherwise.

Wireless needs to be separated from the wireline side. AT&T and Verizon are spending tons of cash on wireless at the cost of ignoring the wired side. It would be best if the wire side was a separate company.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to The Limit

Premium Member

to The Limit
If we're concerned about service, the most economical solution is to deem the last mile a utility, with requisite regulations and guaranteed profits for the utilities. If we're concerned about competition, the most economical solution is to maintain a centrally owned infrastructure, spreading the costs across everyone, and leasing access to providers. If we're concerned with unfair influence within the beltway, we need to impose limits on campaign contributions. I don't foresee any of these scenarios playing out anytime soon. Given that none of these scenarios are likely, I'd suggest our best option is to promote WISPs and encourage new WISPs to enter markets through easing spectrum licensing requirements and making capital available to those with solid business plans.