spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

killerbobjr

join:2005-10-20
Santa Monica, CA

Need for speed (or, driving on unpaved roads)

I recently upgraded from 25/25 to 75/35 and have found that I rarely saturate my pipe. So far, Microsoft downloads and Steam are the only places I can consistently fill the 75mbs download stream. I can understand the business logic behind not offering faster speeds at a lower price if most sites can't deliver those speeds.

If tomorrow VZ offered 1gbs FIOS at $70 to match Google, and also offered their lowest tier of 15/5 at $30, I bet 99% of their customers would select the 15/5 tier at $30. I have even seen a few messages in the FIOS forum indicating that some 70-80% or so of current customers only have 15/5 speeds. All this bitching and moaning about the need for 1gbs speeds seems to come mostly from people who just want the fastest car on the block, even if they can't drive that fast.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

um who says you have to fill it from one place at a time?
we have 3 people in the house
we could all easily pull 20Mbps at the same time form different sites

malletto

join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA
reply to killerbobjr

I have the 75/25 plan also, but will be moving soon and will be dropping to the 50/25 plan. Yes I don't think I've ever fully used what I have now but it is nice to know I have room to grow into it.

But, if they did offer 1gbs plan at $70 I would upgrade, why not, I'm already paying that much now and can afford it so why not. I've had on TWC a much slower plan and absolutely hated it. I don't think I could get by with 15/5.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to killerbobjr

Because wanting to pay more for less like you is so much more logical.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to killerbobjr

said by killerbobjr:

...I bet 99% of their customers would select the 15/5 tier at $30.

Because 99% of us are (1) too cheap, (2) too poor, or (3) actually understand how broadband Internet works?

--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

killerbobjr

Santa Monica, CA
reply to elios

The question then is: How often do you have three people pulling 20mbs at the same time for roughly the same length of time?

Again, from a business standpoint, I can see VZ looking at their spreadsheets and only seeing 5% of customers saturating their pipe at any given time, then looking at the cost benefit to provide 95% of their customers with a service they won't pay for (Hint: there isn't any).

elios

Springfield, MO

with netflix more often then you think
again if you think 3 or 4 people cant fill a 50Mbps pipe your nuts
and thats just with what we have now

killerbobjr

Santa Monica, CA
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

Because 99% of us are (1) too cheap . . .

That's the main reason right there -- people are always looking for a bargain. I bet if Google let us look at their adoption rates in KC for 1gbs, most people would be pretty shocked at the low uptake.

watice

join:2008-11-01
New York, NY
reply to elios

said by elios:

with netflix more often then you think
again if you think 3 or 4 people cant fill a 50Mbps pipe your nuts
and thats just with what we have now

How? From what I can tell, the max res Netflix is streaming at (1080p) comes to about 8mbps. I'm positive I've posted comments along the same lines you have, but have come to the realization that I really don't use as much bandwidth as I thought I did, even with heavy use.

elios

Springfield, MO

4k would be one there is a story to day the the PS4 will offer 4k video downloads at 100GB each...
sounds like a need for 1Gbps to me

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to watice

The Netflix implementation of "1080p" won't even hit 5mbps avg. I highly doubt 3 people using Netflix all at the same time will hit 12mbps avg. They won't come anywhere near 20mbps avg.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."