spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

It's all about the good old buck

As a work from home-office IT support person, I would happily pay $127/month for 1Gb/1Gb service. Hell, that's what I'm paying right now for my Comcast 27/7 service with 5 IP's.

1Gb/1Gb service between locations 30 miles away (the further the better really), even if it had to be with the same provider would be fabulous and used by me EVERYDAY. It would provide geographically disperse data backups, or even the ability to have a live replicas of servers, etc. Accomplishing something like this is one of the biggest IT challanges for small business today. It's a no glory aspect of the job that nobody wants, and therefore the reason why many small businesses fail after an event such as a fire.

Once Verizon places fiber, upping it from 100 to 300 to 500 to 1 Gb doesn't cost them much in bandwidth costs, especially if the data stays on their network. I do believe all these companies are delaying bandwidth increases in order to milk every penny they can out of their networks. Double the speeds today and tomorrow, you've got nothing to offer the next day. They wouldn't know what to do on the third day when customers where then asking for more. Right now, when they bump the speeds up a couple of Mbps for "free", everyone is jumping for joy. They are the heros of the day.

I understand companies have to make money, but if you have the monopoly or exclusive franchise in the area, then your profits should be kept to a fair and reasonable rate, with excesses returned to customers in rate reductions. And yes, in my opinion, if a cable TV company has an exclusive cable franchise in a city, they have an inherent advantage to being able to offer Internet, their facilities are mostly already built for them.