spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Probitas

@teksavvy.com

locked phone is dumb

Consumers should be able to puchase a phone and use it wherever they wish. Getting a phone free (or subsidized through higher than normal monthly rates that mean the phone is definitely NOT free) is a completely different animal. But at the end of the initial contract, that phone should be free to use at any provider the consumer wishes, having paid for that right and owning that phone.

Locking the phone is essentially the same as retaining control over a car and preventing the owner from driving wherever they wish to drive, and is certainly anti-competitive and un-American, because it limits your freedom. I'd expect this to occur in China, not the bastion of freedom on Earth, the mighty U.S. of A.

I think someone should launch a suit concerning ownership, because when you purchase anything, it's yours to do with as you wish. Even if that means breaking the law. Sure you may get caught, but that's also the price of freedom too. The freedom to risk your own freedom. If you buy a house and want to bulldoze the thing, no one can really stop you, unless you're trying to defraud an insurance company, and all they'll do is get you arrested and try to prove you guilty in court, but they can't stop your from doing it in the first place.

Corporate American is turning the country into a police state indirectly with their attempts at building 'marketing' walls around everyone.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by Probitas :

But at the end of the initial contract, that phone should be free to use at any provider the consumer wishes, having paid for that right and owning that phone.

Please explain how I use my Verizon phone that uses CDMA for calls and texts at at&t that uses GSM for calls and texts. Then I might support this idea.