kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Peter Nowak on Telecom Oligopolies

A good read:

»wordsbynowak.com/2013/03/01/oligopoly/

said by Peter Nowak :
Question: what do broadband oligopolies and global warming have in common? Answer: they both have their share of deniers. Chief among them in both cases is the American Enterprise Institute, an influential right-wing think tank funded by the likes of Exxon and AT&T.

--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

You can add the Holocaust to that list too.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to El Quintron

I hesitate to read something written by someone who lumps ISP oligopolies and global warming together for calling out people in denial. A bit too much embilishing on Nowak's part there.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

I hesitate to read something written by someone who lumps ISP oligopolies and global warming together for calling out people in denial. A bit too much embilishing on Nowak's part there.

Perhaps you should read the entire article as the segway appears to have been lost on you.
--

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by El Quintron:

said by TypeS:

Perhaps you should read the entire article as the segway appears to have been lost on you.

You misinterpreted what I wrote then. He's right about the oligopolies in broadband internet, but horribly wrong in his comparison to the whole global warming mess. So I question the merit of his writing as a whole.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

He's right about the oligopolies in broadband internet, but horribly wrong in his comparison to the whole global warming mess.

Are your reading comprehension skills really that poor?
--

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by El Quintron:

said by TypeS:

He's right about the oligopolies in broadband internet, but horribly wrong in his comparison to the whole global warming mess.

Are your reading comprehension skills really that poor?

Are yours? You seem keen on demonstrating so far that you lack any.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

Are yours? You seem keen on demonstrating so far that you lack any.

Considering Nowak has been awarded the 2009 CATA Excellence in Science and Technology Reporting, and the 2006 Telecommunications Users Association of New Zealand Journalist of the Year, I think he's got a bit more insight than justsomeguy posting on a forum.

Now for a bit of reading comprehension; the fact that the AEI has been spearheading climate change denial, and is now spearheading an astroturf movement to deny the inadequacies of North-American broadband is very telling of their motives, Nowak is both right to call them out, and to indicate where their previous focus was.
--

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Journalists are human beings too and as such they often like to inject bias and campaign their own agendas. Very few writers out there actually write with injection some form of personal bias or viewpoint.

He was correct in linking AEI in their campaigning efforts but comparing the issues of broadband internet and climate change in his opening reeks of bias. Lack of competition in the NA ISP market is obvious, climate change is 2 opposed camps fudging the facts for their own agendas.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

He was correct in linking AEI in their campaigning efforts but comparing the issues of broadband internet and climate change in his opening reeks of bias.

What bias?

The fact that the AEI campaigned on the wrong side of both issues speaks volumes about them.
--

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by El Quintron:

said by TypeS:

He was correct in linking AEI in their campaigning efforts but comparing the issues of broadband internet and climate change in his opening reeks of bias.

What bias?

The fact that the AEI campaigned on the wrong side of both issues speaks volumes about them.

He is implying people who don't believe in climate change are in denial. There's not factual evidence to support that other than bias and personal agenda.

I really don't get why you're getting your panties in a bunch because I questioned the writers integrity.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by TypeS:

He is implying people who don't believe in climate change are in denial. There's not factual evidence to support that other than bias and personal agenda.

He's stating that the AEI is promoting denial,but in broadband and on climate change.

said by TypeS:

I really don't get why you're getting your panties in a bunch because I questioned the writers integrity.

I was intending to have a discussion about bad broadband and its apologists instead I got a discussion about Peter Nowak, you can think what you want about that, but if you're going make accusations then that's what we're talking about.
--