uniqs
share rss forum feed

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Start payments

I just called Start to order service but they have not given enough options to make payments. They want an instant online order but payments are only with credit card (I don't use them) or debit. They said they take Interac but they didn't say that is restricted to four banks. I don't deal with any of those banks. The other option is to go get a prepaid credit card but the fees are HUGE and you can't load with the amount I want. I want the exact amount, I have to load only with increments of $50. I don't want any money left over on the card. And they wont' take a cheque unless I'm a rural wireless customer.

Start, when are you going to take Interac from any bank or Paypal? What do I do now? Do you want my business? I've already cancelled Cogeco but will uncancel if I can't pay you guys.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

You raise an excellent issue. I don't have credit cards either. Pay everything by cash, always have done. I was ready to switch to Start last year till I discovered their limited and inconvenient payment options.

Bet Start doesn't realize all the customers that are going elsewhere because of this issue. People like to pay their utilities through a Bank. Be it online or in person. Too much credit card info getting out in the wild these days. You work hard for your money and you need to protect what little you have. Rogers and Bell "get it". They send out a bill like clockwork every month payable at any financial institution.. That's called "customer convenience".

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to WiMax

You should be able to find them on your online banking pay bills section. But with this you will need to make the payment before the bill comes out each month so there is no balance when the bill is processed.

Or just get a credit card.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Pay everything by cash, always have done.

I go to the bank every month with my paper bill and pay cash.

If a company won't send me a bill I can pay at the bank I give my business to someone else even if they cost more.

tyche

@start.ca
reply to WiMax

I just got my first invoice myself. There are plenty of options. It states:

You may bring your account into good standing by paying the outstanding balance through any of the following methods: directly at your bank, telephone or online banking or by sending a cheque or money order to our office. You may also pay your account by credit card directly online through our website at www.start.ca/go/payment

elitefx

London, ON

said by tyche :

I just got my first invoice myself. There are plenty of options. It states:

You may bring your account into good standing by paying the outstanding balance through any of the following methods: directly at your bank, telephone or online banking or by sending a cheque or money order to our office. You may also pay your account by credit card directly online through our website at www.start.ca/go/payment

Well, unfortunately their webpage does not indicate/offer anywhere the payment options you received. Still the ole credit/debit/piece of your bank account monthly. They need to update their page to reflect any changes.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

You raise an excellent issue. I don't have credit cards either. Pay everything by cash, always have done. I was ready to switch to Start last year till I discovered their limited and inconvenient payment options.

Bet Start doesn't realize all the customers that are going elsewhere because of this issue. People like to pay their utilities through a Bank. Be it online or in person. Too much credit card info getting out in the wild these days. You work hard for your money and you need to protect what little you have. Rogers and Bell "get it". They send out a bill like clockwork every month payable at any financial institution.. That's called "customer convenience".

Tinfoil hat needed for you...

Just poking fun, sort of. But really, why don't you have a credit card? It's the best thing ever if you can control your spending. Unless you like to walk around with $300 cash on you.. Having a credit card is no less dangerous than carrying cash on you imo.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by geokilla:

Tinfoil hat needed for you...

Unless you like to walk around with $300 cash on you..

Why do you feel you need to walk around with $300.00?

1. You get kidnapped.
2. You meet a hooker unexpectedly.
3. You meet your dealer unexpectedly.
4. Flashing money makes you feel important.
5. You score and get the munchies.

and on and on...

elitefx

London, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Just poking fun, sort of. But really, why don't you have a credit card? It's the best thing ever if you can control your spending.

And there is hundreds of Debt Councilors/Agencies and Millions of North Americans that that would disagree with that view in a heartbeat.

HINT: The #1 threat to the Canadian economy is the household debt carried by individual Canadians. The average household debt is $8,000 on credit cards alone. Hardly a trivial statistic.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to WiMax

not to be an ass but really guys this is the modern age. Man going to the bank to pay bills fork that crap. The customers Start may lose to having limited payments would just be eaten up plus some by having workers who have to administer all that extra payments such as checks and the like.

Man do you guys send all your mail by horse and buggy.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by geokilla:

Just poking fun, sort of. But really, why don't you have a credit card? It's the best thing ever if you can control your spending.

And there is hundreds of Debt Councilors/Agencies and Millions of North Americans that that would disagree with that view in a heartbeat.

HINT: The #1 threat to the Canadian economy is the household debt carried by individual Canadians. The average household debt is $8,000 on credit cards alone. Hardly a trivial statistic.

I've had credit cards for 23 years and have always paid my bill as soon as I received it (be it in paper or electronic form). Hell, sometimes I even pay it before the bill is ready because I know the cutoff date.

I got my first property tax bill in the mail yesterday and immediately paid it through my bank's web site AND registered to get future tax bills electronically. Too much paper going directly to the recycle bin is sent along with the paper version.

I'm awesome.

Back on topic, it looks like the various payment options for Start are there. If the web site doesn't reflect this, I'm sure rocca will see this soon enough and act accordingly.
--
Start Communications Forum

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to tyche

They told me they only do recurring monthly by credit or bank withrawl, no invoicing. That's not the issue. The issue is I filled the entire order today and was ready to go. They couldn't accept my form of payment - a debit card which they said they could. The site says debit from one of four banks only. And there is no way I'm paying the userous fees for those stupid prepaid credit cards and end up with a balance on it.

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

not to be an ass but really guys this is the modern age. Man going to the bank to pay bills fork that crap. The customers Start may lose to having limited payments would just be eaten up plus some by having workers who have to administer all that extra payments such as checks and the like.

Man do you guys send all your mail by horse and buggy.

That is what "choice" is all about buddy! I know people that can do INternet banking and won't. So?

I even asked Start if they could open a dummy account at their end so that I could make the payment with my online banking and they said no. Had to be debit card (same thing as far as I'm concerned) but they won't take my financial institution which is a credit union.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to WiMax

I did online bill payments initially, and now that I know I am sticking with them I setup automatic withdrawl via chequing. There are plenty of ways to do it.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
Reviews:
·Acanac

said by Phorkster:

I did online bill payments initially, and now that I know I am sticking with them I setup automatic withdrawl via chequing. There are plenty of ways to do it.

I do automatic withdrawl with Ebox and don't have a problem at all. They are only authorized to take out the agreed upon amount every month, just like using a post-dated cheque so I don't see what the problem is.....

If there ever was a problem and they took out something they shouldn't, the bank would refund the money and go after them for it...

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to WiMax

This is where billing for overages comes into effect.What if you used to much and they take an extra 30.You dispute it and they cancel your internet.Not sure how other banks work but mine do credit unions also if they are on the interact program so something start should look into

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MichelR

said by MichelR:

said by elitefx:

said by geokilla:

I've had credit cards for 23 years and have always paid my bill as soon as I received it (be it in paper or electronic form). Hell, sometimes I even pay it before the bill is ready because I know the cutoff date.

I got my first property tax bill in the mail yesterday and immediately paid it through my bank's web site AND registered to get future tax bills electronically. Too much paper going directly to the recycle bin is sent along with the paper version.

I'm awesome.

Back on topic, it looks like the various payment options for Start are there. If the web site doesn't reflect this, I'm sure rocca will see this soon enough and act accordingly.

Exactly what my parents and I do, though we don't pay it as soon as we get the bill. We check our receipts with the transactions first.

For those of you that have credit card debt... Well you're screwed and need to learn to control your spending. Too many people lack self control and spend the money that they don't have. That is the reasoning behind my previous post. I'm all for credit cards because they make life so much easier. But if you don't use it properly, then you're digging yourself a hole.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

Sir,
In all honesty, I am going to beat you to the ground.

Some people do NOT choose to go bankrupt nor acquire debt.

There are honest people who just come by hard times...

EG: Loosing business, Loosing relationships, health issues, etc it all adds up to living on credit... which is never ending.

NOT SUPPORTING THE ID10T's but I am advocating for the honest, hardworking people in this Country... The true failure is the School system which doesn't force proper financial management on the students --- since parents aren't doing it.
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

not to be an ass but really guys this is the modern age.

And that is a good thing?

You see I have never been overcharged or had some billing issue linger for months. I simply don't pay until the bill is corrected.

But you modern folks go right ahead and have someone dip into your pocket every month whether the amount is correct or not.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to WiMax

said by WiMax:

....The other option is to go get a prepaid credit card but the fees are HUGE and you can't load with the amount I want.

I want the exact amount, I have to load only with increments of $50....

Here is what works :

BMO Bank of Montreal has a reloadable prepaid card called 'Travel MasterCard'.

»www.bmo.com/home/personal/bankin···nav=left

START accepts this card - in fact one of their billing reps suggested it to me.

I now have one, after trying and abandoning others which I did not like for various reasons (sometimes including high fees), and after researching still other choices.

This one has only one usage fee if you do not 'bounce' anything.

It's $6.95 per year, and nothing per month.

Transactions are free, other than ATM withdrawals (like almost all credit cards).

Load any amount, though as with most credit cards, you must end up with an available balance rounded to the next higher dollar than what you will be buying with it, so that all funds will be available.

It can be loaded in person at a BMO branch if you open a bank account there (I did), or by a bill payment from another bank's online banking (though expect the usual delay of 2 or 3 biz days as with bill payments done at all banks).

Loading is free, except if the funds source account charges you anything for a transfer or a bill payment.

The card expires after 3 years but can be reissued without penalty.

Cheers !

Firefoxer

join:2007-09-27
Quebec, QC

While your at it for the bmo travel prepaid;
There is a free BMO account that can do the Interac Online. Its either called Club Sobeys or IGA BMO (for Quebec) chequing accounts depending on where you are.
Basically no fees besides the teller fees (you can do any deposit for free) and stuff like non-sufficient funds bounces.

»www.bmosobeys.com/en/home.aspx
its not a referral, I've tried to shorten it:
»www.bmo.com/home/promo/sobeys/qu···=6117052

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

said by Firefoxer:

While your at it for the bmo travel prepaid;
There is a free BMO account that can do the Interac Online....

Interesting - sounds like the Loblaws arrangement with CIBC.

The OP did not state at which bank they bank, but START's Interac support includes BMO and the OP seems to bank elsewhere than at one of the 'Big 4'.

Or possibly START only does PAPs at the Big 4, but accepts Interac Online from more sources - not sure.

I have START set up for a PAP from a credit card, but pay them in advance each month from various sources, including the BMO card which I mentioned, as well as from Interac Online from either of 2 banks.

The suggestion for START (and other IISPs) to add PayPal sounds like a good one - just one more flexibility which the incumbents would not have.

I know of several VoIP providers who accept PayPal (CallCentric, Anveo, VOIP.MS, Skype, etc), and I generally use it for the ones to which I currently subscribe.
Expand your moderator at work

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Start payments

said by Davesnothere:

The OP did not state at which bank they bank, but START's Interac support includes BMO and the OP seems to bank elsewhere than at one of the 'Big 4'.

Not to nitpick here but technically it's the Big 5 Canadian banks , not sure why they wouldn't accept from CIBC.

Not sure about why they don't let you print off invoices and take them to any bank/credit union. My hunch is that TD, RBC, BMO and Scotia gave them a decent break on the transfer fees that they can offer the debit, and no one else did. It seems seemless to the customer, go to the bank, pay the bill, but the company your paying the bill too pays the transfer fees (banks do nothing for free). Not trying to excuse Start here, they're probably just playing a balancing game of costs and price increases, some things ma.ke the cut, others don't.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

We support pre-authorized payments from any bank or credit union in Canada.

The initial payment page supports Interac online debit for real-time payment and the 4 banks are the only ones supported - I don't know why CIBC isn't part of the program, but that's something between Interac and CIBC and we're a little too small to influence them to settle whatever their spat is about.

Our policy is to require automatic payments for residential accounts and it means that I can have people helping customers with support instead of having to have them chase customers down every month for $40. We tried the "bill and hope people pay" method for years and our collections efforts, bad debt and losses were through the roof.

I understand that automatic payments aren't for everyone and that some people have reasons for not doing it, but unfortunately we aren't able to support those customers at this time.

There is more details from a previous thread on this at »Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco ... I seem to recall a much longer one too but can't seem to find it currently as DSLR really doesn't give the ability to search adhoc forums very well (or I'm doing it wrong)

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Exactly what my parents and I do, though we don't pay it as soon as we get the bill. We check our receipts with the transactions first.

Oh man, I do that on a daily basis - I like that better than going through the bill at the end of the month (well, middle of the month). I even check my electricity consumption daily.
--
Start Communications Forum
Expand your moderator at work

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to WiMax

Re: Start payments

So just pay with a credit card. They've been taking the same amount out for a year now.

df909

@bell.ca
reply to WiMax

said by WiMax:

The other option is to go get a prepaid credit card but the fees are HUGE and you can't load with the amount I want.

Sorry but prepaid credit cards won't let you sign-up for recurring services like a cellphone plan or internet. Some businesses (car rentals & hotels) just outright reject them altogether.

agtle

@teksavvy.com

said by df909 :

said by WiMax:

The other option is to go get a prepaid credit card but the fees are HUGE and you can't load with the amount I want.

Sorry but prepaid credit cards won't let you sign-up for recurring services like a cellphone plan or internet. Some businesses (car rentals & hotels) just outright reject them altogether.

Not true at all - did you read earlier in the thread? »Re: Start payments

The BMO card that Davesnothere See Profile talks about is specifically marketed for travel and I can testify that it allows recurring charges, hotels, car rentals, etc. Never had any problem at all.