All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AndyD2k
join:2003-01-10
New York, NY

AndyD2k

[Northeast] Moca adapter without Fios router - possible?

I've switched my ONT to ethernet and using my own router. Is it possible to still use a moca adapter? I was trying to use wireless for my mini htpc in my bedroom but that's not working out as well as I hoped

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Without the FIOS router, you'll need two MOCA adapters, one for each end. Normally the FIOS router provides one of the two ends.
AndyD2k
New York, NY

AndyD2k

Ok thanks. I figured as much but someone over at Silicon Dust's forum said I should be good with just the Moca which I didn't think was possible. I guess I may consider powerline adapters as I don't want to use the router
AndyD2k

AndyD2k

Would I set up the Fios router as a bridge to get the moca working in the other room? Would be silly for me to spend money if I already have the devices. I just didn't want to have so many things connected

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Follow the instructions in part 2 of the following FAQ to set up the Actiontec as a MOCA bridge.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

In your case, you'll be running a LAN-to-LAN connection to the Actiontec from your primary router.
AndyD2k
New York, NY

AndyD2k

Ok thanks. I did just that I'm good.

I tried using an wifi adapter at 5ghz to help with interference issues and streaming TV from my HDHomerun Prime and it didn't go to well. Wired connection really seems the only way to go