Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Outside Equipment - Understanding

I'm trying to figure out what each thing is. I've posted similar threads before but I originally saw things wrongly till now.
- Yay for Google Images

First Box:(Couldn't find an exact picture but it's a green pole mounted box which is medium size)

Second Box:(Looks like this) - MAY BE THE FRONT BOX IN THE FOURTH BOX'S PICTURE INSTEAD

Third Box:(Referring to only one of the side brown boxes. Ignore the thing in the middle)

Fourth Box:(Only the big box in the back I'm referring to. The one in front may be the second box instead though)

telemam
@sbcglobal.net

telemam

Anon

1-uverse vrad.2rt usally for slc 5 or slc 96,3-could be iftl.dftl,or lightspan

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Huh O_o?

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
the first picture looks like a standard vrad cabinet..These are what house the actual cards that are powered and where the data signal starts to send signal to a customers house.

2nd picture, not sure

3rd picture Looks like a vrad cabinet with the cross box(Were the wires can be sent from the equipment down the copper to your house) combined box..these typically have 4 doors..a door on each end and a door on the front & back

Darknessfall
Premium Member

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

What could the green box on the pole be?(No picture)

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

prob just a cross box of wire that is mounted on a pole instead of on the ground

Darknessfall
Premium Member

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I wonder if that brown box is an old POTS or something box.

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

pots can be in any box...there r cross boxes all by theirselves that are just wires from the co with pots(or data) and a place to send those wires to (the Field) your house business,etc..cross boxes have all sorts of sizes and shapes..i'll have to take some pictures of the various ones I work on..lol

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I also wonder why people in our neighborhood are still on old ADSL :/. I see 2wires but not sure if they're all VDSL as some may be 2701s/that super old 2wire. I also see an ATT--- SSID with N as a 2wire which is probably a Pace 4111N.

70% of the SSIDs I see are 2wires lol.

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

2wirexxx can be vdsl or inids attxxx is usually ngv510 ipdsl

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Can't the 2wirexxx also be a 2wire 2701 though?

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

yes it can.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Your green thing on the pole is probably a service area interface. The 2nd box is a classic VRAD. 3rd box is two crossboxes sandwiching what is probably an ADSL2+ remote terminal (if those are near your home, that would explain why you see both VDSL2 and ADSL2+ types of SSIDs). 4th box is a VRAD with a new crossbox integrated into it.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

If there's both ADSL2+ and VDSL2 in our neighborhood is that why the site is super confused on who is allowed U-verse or not? lol The site has problems saying the whole road is either on regular ADSL or VDSL2 with the 32/5 or 25/3 profile lol.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
I'm not familiar with the first box, but it appears to be a version of the CommScope 52B cabinets. They can be ordered a thousand different ways: SoNET, xDSL, POTS, T1 hubs, etc.

The first brown box is an 80C or 80D, the cream colored cabinet attached to it is a 52B and the last is an 80D-BP.

- 80C's are distributed power cabinets that can have up to four channel banks. Typically SLC96 or SLC5. When alone they'll often have a DDM1000 multiplexer, SXSS T1 repeater and three SLC96's.

-52B in that configuration will most-likely have two Alcatel 1000's. It is referred to as an "adjunct 96." Each Alcatel 1000 provides 48 DSL channels.

- 80D-BP is a bulk power cabinet, and very similar to the 80C. The only real difference is the batteries go underneath, and that opens a little more space in the cabinet. This allows use of DDM2000 OC3's, Wescom T1 repeaters and a few other items depending on how creative the installer is.

The large white cabinet is a MESA4 or MESA6. It will usually have a DDM2000 OC3, a few DISC*S copper or DISC*S FITL systems and a Wescom repeater. By displacing a few DISC*S channel systems you can install any of the Alcatel xDSL systems, but the DSL is probably served by a Alcatel 7300 LP-UD inside the 52B.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

In the picture with the brown boxes I wrote that I was only referring to one of the brown boxes but not both. We also don't have the cream little thing pictured in the middle. I should edit to make it less confusing.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by Darknessfall:

In the picture with the brown boxes I wrote that I was only referring to one of the brown boxes but not both. We also don't have the cream little thing pictured in the middle. I should edit to make it less confusing.

The issue is each of the cabinets you've pictured can be configured a hundred different ways. It doesn't matter how you edit the pictures, because it'll still be impossible to tell you exactly what is inside of each. I work inside of them daily, and I never know what I'm going to find when pulling up for a survey!