uniqs
share rss forum feed

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON

ACTA and Canadian Technology

All,

ACTA has been an ongoing issue that threatens technology in general despite the EU forcefully rejecting it. Despite this EU rejection, there has been a recent response to the USTR's [PDF] in the Canadian government in regards to ACTA ratification.

The Bill, C-56 (link transiently available, server issues at the time of posting) is this response, I believe it threatens and undermines technologies that create the internet and therefore believe that everyone, regardless of political alignment must reject this bill as it will harm not only technology and the internet, but so many aspects of Canadian lives. Canadian law professor Michael Geist has written a report on the bill in its current form and appears as if it can impact the import AND export of technology, media, and other resources into and from Canada.

I created this thread to encourage conversation and to create awareness of this issue before it becomes another layer of abstraction without accountability to leverage control over the Canadian internet without due process.
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18

How do we defeat These Copyright juggernauts,when they just keep on sending out Copyright treaty after copyright treaty(till one gets ratified.)

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by JunjiHiroma:

How do we defeat These Copyright juggernauts,when they just keep on sending out Copyright treaty after copyright treaty(till one gets ratified.)

Canada could grow some backbone and stop being a puppet.
That's how we stop it.

Trade Neg

@videotron.ca

said by Nitra:

Canada could grow some backbone and stop being a puppet.
That's how we stop it.

That would have negatives consequences on Canada w/ regards to trade negotiations and oil pipelines.

Vomio

join:2008-04-01
Reviews:
·odynet

said by Trade Neg :

That would have negatives consequences on Canada w/ regards to trade negotiations and oil pipelines.

You mean like you don't want our oil?

Buy it from the Arabs or Venezuela then, we can sell it to Canadians at reduced rates for centuries, long after the rest of the world has run out or heck we can sell it to the Chinese as part of our new trade agreement.

Seems like the basis of a strong stand to me, like what are they going to do invade?

Trade Neg

@videotron.ca

said by Vomio:

said by Trade Neg :

You mean like you don't want our oil?

Buy it from the Arabs or Venezuela then, we can sell it to Canadians at reduced rates for centuries, long after the rest of the world has run out or heck we can sell it to the Chinese as part of our new trade agreement.

Seems like the basis of a strong stand to me, like what are they going to do invade?

It's all very political.
Nor is it different than EU trade negotiations going on where the EU is stating they will add a special tax at EU gas pumps for Canadian oil if we don't add life + 100 years for copyright works.

The problem is BC.

We do want to go the China route and give the finger to them all. So you can't blame harper for this. You can blame B.C. and the US extremists who are playing politics that are blocking trade routes so that we have no US and EU independence. Thus it leads to Canadians being bullied, to put it simply.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to DigitalXeron

If MY ISP enjoys my money I advise them if they start monitoring me and treating me like I am a criminal and Guilty before innocent I will be cutting my services with them.

Anyone know the full extent as to what the section concerning ISPS entails?

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

It's more than a little disturbing that elsewhere in the world, this caused protests in the streets, huge backlash to the point the bill was dead and buried. Here, mainstream media has no coverage on the fact that it was introduced. It's like they don't want Canadians to know how badly their about to get screwed without lube.

DanteX

Whats even sadder is there is next to know detailed info on just what ACTA will do. Is ACTA going to nail someone for having an encrypted connection 24/7 365?

DanteX

reply to DigitalXeron

These people that claim to represent the public are LIARS!! these [people who who hold closed door meetings not allowing Public input on things such as ACTA and TPP need to be exposed and brought to justice.

Imagine being censored or having your internet access taken away because you talk about conspiracy theories relating to the 9-11 cover up or how about the wrong doings of the US military while over seas? You instantly become enemy of the state.

I suggest everyone who knows what a VPN, TOR, I2p, SSH Tunnels and proxies are to make good use of them and teach others what they are and how to use them

I myself m in the planning stages of setting up my private server to be a VPN server and a router for TOR and I2P traffic. But sadly I suspect eventually there will be a provision about unauthorized use of VPNS or encryption