uniqs

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

[CATV] DVR - External Hard Drive

So how long has Cox allowed external drives added to Moto DVR's?

Noticed it in a recent email announcing changes to the on screen guide. Plugged in a 1TB drive and was happy to see my used space go from 89% to 19%!

Is this new or was I just clueless?

AnonPhx
@cox.net

AnonPhx

Anon

It's been around for a long time, although not heavily advertised since it's not a "supported" feature.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

no it hasn't cox has has never allowed external hard drives via motorola's

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to craig70130

Premium Member

to craig70130
Could you post the email? Is this across all markets?

AnonPhx
@cox.net

AnonPhx to ajwees41

Anon

to ajwees41
My mistake, I misread that it was a moto DVR.

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA

kv2009 to craig70130

to craig70130
What model DVR do you have?? Considering the fact that you're in New Orleans, my DVR will likely support the feature as well. A couple nights ago my DVR reset about 6 times and kept downloading updates each time so maybe that's when it was changed.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Yes, please do tell. I checked my DCX3400 Diagnostic screen and couldn't even find mention of it under ports. I did notice now that they opened up the larger driver though, so thats a plus. Also what guide are you using? Rovi or Passport?
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by Optimus2357:

Yes, please do tell. I checked my DCX3400 Diagnostic screen and couldn't even find mention of it under ports. I did notice now that they opened up the larger driver though, so thats a plus. Also what guide are you using? Rovi or Passport?

if I remember right the External drive will not not have a listing just like the fireware port will say disable until a cable is plugged in. I'm going from memory since I now have a Tivo.
VentShop
join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
ARRIS CM8200
(Software) OPNsense
Netgear R8000

VentShop to craig70130

to craig70130
A lot of it is trial and error on the DVR's and adding external drives. Sometimes the software will allow it and sometimes it won't. They may have to have a particular size or even brand to have the proper drivers allowed to access them. It also depends on the market and the current software installed on the DVR and if the provider has enabled the feature.

If you have the money or have a drive sitting around then by all means try one and post the results. Also searching for your market/provider/dvr model online may also show some results to help you figure if it is viable as well. Most of the providers do not advertise the ability as you would then not want to upgrade to the latest and greatest DVR they have and generate a service call for them to make more money and spend extra for a monthly fee.

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009 to craig70130

to craig70130
I have a DCX3400-M and I checked the diagnostics page. The USB port shows as enabled and active when I plug a little 4GB USB stick in the front USB port. It still shows the USB port as enabled if there isn't anything plugged in, just not active. There was no change in my DVR capacity though. I'm not sure if a small USB stick even counts though haha.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by kv2009:

I have a DCX3400-M and I checked the diagnostics page. The USB port shows as enabled and active when I plug a little 4GB USB stick in the front USB port. It still shows the USB port as enabled if there isn't anything plugged in, just not active. There was no change in my DVR capacity though. I'm not sure if a small USB stick even counts though haha.

Nope,

eSATA would be then only way to add strorage.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130

Premium Member

Sorry for the late reply..

It's a Moto DCT6416. Powered down, plugged in the eSATA drive, powered the Moto on and it asked if I wanted to format the external drive.

The Cox email was from 2-26 with the subject "Exciting changes are coming soon to your on-screen guide."

It described the new ability to search On-Demand as well as regular channels at the same time and the ability to automatically tune HD channels when selecting the SD channel then goes on to say:

EXPANDED STORAGE SPACE SUPPORT
• Need more storage for your DVR recordings? Connect an external hard drive (eSATA drive) to your DVR and expand your storage space.
(For use with Motorola DVR receivers only.)

I also got the numerous reboots a few day before noticing the onscreen guide changes and receiving the email.

jmikeh
Premium Member
join:2001-07-15
Tulsa, OK

jmikeh to craig70130

Premium Member

to craig70130
Click for full size
Before totals.
Click for full size
whoopie, the after totals.
Here in Tulsa I am running the Moto 6416 Ph 3 box. I built a esata drive from a 320 gb WD and an eclosure I bought on Newegg. Today I plugged that puppy in and got some really cool storage increases. I was suprised that it actually worked.
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss

said by jmikeh:

Here in Tulsa I am running the Moto 6416 Ph 3 box. I built a esata drive from a 320 gb WD and an eclosure I bought on Newegg. Today I plugged that puppy in and got some really cool storage increases. I was suprised that it actually worked.

Makes me wonder if that's allowed on those with the WHDVR setup. My host receiver is a Cisco 8642. Even though the email says "Motorola receivers only".
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by Hoss:

said by jmikeh:

Makes me wonder if that's allowed on those with the WHDVR setup. My host receiver is a Cisco 8642. Even though the email says "Motorola receivers only".

Cisco's always had the option for external drive.
ajwees41

ajwees41 to Optimus2357

Premium Member

to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

Rovi and Passport are the same I think they are keeping the Passort name for the ipg's.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX to Hoss

Premium Member

to Hoss
said by Hoss:

It has been a while, so I don't know if anything has changed. But The Cisco 8642HDC running Trio would allow an Ext HDD, and it worked on the main DVR, but did not play nicely when trying to access from a Client STB.

Not sure if Cox has addressed this in recent SW updates or not.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

I don't think they are supposed to work with client stb.