signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

General question about video cards and artifacts

Would the type of artifact one sees indicate whether the problem is with video RAM rather than the GPU? I see individual pixels sparkling in either cyan, most of the time, or red. The pixels scroll with the image, not the monitor.

I went back and forth with the manufacturer, seems they didn't like my serial number, and they relented and agreed to at least RMA the thing. It will be a few weeks if I get a replacement and thank goodness for good people, I'll be GPU folding again in a few days...

But I am thinking a RAM chip is the problem. OR could it be the DAC?

The card wasn't abused. Yes, it was OC'd for about 20 minutes as an attempt to see if the card was likely to fail, after I first got it. It is a refurb. Yes, it got slightly dusty, but not nearly as dusty as I had expected.

Anyways, I've pulled the card because it kept restarting the screen, which is disconcerting. I am using an old 7950 GT for the time being. Didn't even thinik the card still worked (the 7950).

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

Normally it can be either/or. I have seen core issues cause artifacts and I have seen RAM issues cause artifacts.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Yeah, Gordo, but you know what I am thinking: The type or nature of the artifacts might be different depending on what silicon has failed... I wonder.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I would say it's the GPU. From my experience, RAM-related artifacts tend to be in patterns of stripes or blocks of dots (example), and GPU artifacts tend to be random-colored or "snow" pixels in various areas, or large polygons (example).

As for the RAMDAC, that would only be an issue if you're not using DVI/HDMI or DisplayPort. How is it connected to your monitor?