spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skydemon

join:2011-04-07

[DSL] Setting up NAT with Bell modem/router Sagemcom 2864?

Hi, my work place just switched ISP to Teksavvy Business DSL today, and Bell sent us a modem/router combo device (Sagemcom 2864), after we got our new internet up running everything works really smoothly, but there is one problem. We running our own exchange server in our office and we are unable to access the web access feature using the domain name which is pointed to our static internet IP, we can only access the web access using our exchange's local IP, so I realized that NAT configuration is missing, but I can't find anything on the Sagemcom 2864 for NAT configuration, does anyone can help me out?

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

Your issues are mostly DNS related and you are relying on what they used to call NAT loopback which isn't the best way and not even working as configured. You need someone to set it all up to your needs. Most businesses would ideally set the Sagemcom to a dumb modem and use a router with more firewall controls. I'd also assume you want access to email from the outside.

I can help if you ask for it.

skydemon

What we really want is able to access our exchange's web access feature using our external domain (e.g. »webmail.ourdomain.com/owa), it was working with our old router which has NAT turn on, but after switched to using Sagemcom 2864, we can't access the web access using our external domain, the external domain is accessible using different internet connection, but within local we have to use our exchange's local address. But thanks for giving me idea for use the Sagemcom only as modem and we gonna use our old router back and hopefully everything will back to normal.

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON

First of all you do have NAT, what you don't have is NAT loopback. I personally wouldn't do it that way but what you had will work ok if you setup similar to what you had. good luck

paulwye

join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON
reply to skydemon

Just make sure you pull your user credentials out of the Sagemcom before you plug your router into it. With a static IP, you won't be able to establish two PPPoE sessions and, as such, your old router won't work properly.

skydemon

reply to vikingisson

Hi, can I know what is other way to do this which you believe is the better way? Thanks.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to skydemon

I believe what is being suggested is the Sagemcom router being treated just a stand alone VDSL modem, running it in Bridge mode and connecting your previous router to it for internet service and everything else to that router. I've never used that particular modem/router before, so I'm not sure what the GUI is like, but would be the ideal situation, since you knew it worked like that before.

Try posting in Direct Support Forums and ask them about how to set up the Sagemcom 2864 in bridge mode with another router.

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
reply to skydemon

The better way to secure your business is to hire someone that understands networking so it is done right with simplicity and logic. Guessing at something you don't understand puts your business at high risk.

We don't know what you have on site but assuming an Exchange server I'd install a DNS server there. That solves the internal vs external access without bouncing off the router. It also caches DNS for better performance. Or it can done at the router depending on what you have or can buy. Many ways to do it right and cheaply.