An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Making audio sound BETTER??

An interesting Read on DOLBY

»web.archive.org/web/200905210529···tems.pdf

I think anytime you apply a filter,IT CAN MAKE IT WORSE!!!!!

The cassette player in our car for example has a button to ENABLE OR DISABLE NR -- I always leave it disabled AS IT SOUNDS WORSE WITH IT ON!!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Well, if you don't match your use of noise-reduction on playback to the use on record, you're getting something that does not correspond to the original sound at all. E.g., record with Dolby, playback without Dolby, result is artificial boost of the high-end. Record without Dolby, playback with Dolby: muffled top.

(And you need to match the Dolby mode: B versus C)

Though perhaps the artificial boost of the high end, when playing Dolby recordings without Dolby, helps compensate for the never-cleaned tape heads in your old car cassette player.

The real problem is that the analogue cassette was a substandard recording system. You can't make it sound good, you just have to pick what sort of ''wrong" you prefer. That's what Dolby is about, trying to offset the basic crappiness of the medium. In fact, pretty much all analogue media need some sort of technical fix to make them usable (yes: even vinyl: RIAA compensation).

dbx did a better job than Dolby, but never really caught on.

Fortunately, the analogue cassette is completely obsolete.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

Yes and its sad Dave,there is NO BETTER SOUND than analogue...

We were meant to see and hear IN ANALOGUE so it makes sense that would be the best!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Dude111:

We were meant to see and hear IN ANALOGUE so it makes sense that would be the best!

A nonsensical argument.

Audio reproduction involves sampling the waves in air, storing a representation in some medium, copying that medium, and then finally turning the representation back into waves in air.

Thus, what you hear is not 'the same' phenomenon that was performed. It has undergone conversion processes to get to you.

That being said, there's no basis to claim that a digital conversion (with accuracy limited by quantization but no infidelties imposed by the storage medium) is automatically less faithful than analogue (which has infidelities imposed by storage - and in the case of cassette tapes, those infidelities are huge).

In fact, in principle you can make a digital recording better by using more bits. Whereas in principle there is a physical limit to what you can do with analogue tape.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
I think the general proper rule is that the only way CDs sound worse than records started at creation of the content that went onto a perfectly functional media format. I think many people also forget today that anything new was likely mastered digitally even if they are listening to it on an analog format such as an LP.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
Yes and new LPs are garbage,not worth getting!!!!

I have some GOOD LPs from the 80s and earlier that ARE NOT DIGITAL CRAP but actual good sounding analogue!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Re: Making audio sound BETTER??

Maybe its time to visit an Audiologist.
Expand your moderator at work