All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

[Cable] TSI West (Shaw): Speed during peak hours?

What kind of speeds are you seeing during peak hours?

ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

Ouch, that's a bit more congestion than I'd like to see. What city are you in? I wonder if its your node or the Teksavvy link causing that.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

We're running at about 90% but no congestion on our end. We also have another link on the way in a week or two.
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3

Good to know, thanks. I'm waiting to see how DSL and cable pricing end up changing from the CRTC decision before I pick one or the other anyhow.

No plans for aggregated on Shaw for a while then?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
Good to know thAt a new link is coming. I've been seeing quite a bi congestion during prime time during the last little while as well.

Regarding aggregate on Shaw, it would be nice if others outside of the GVR can get access to cable as well.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Just as a FYI, that 12Mb from yesterday was actually one of my better results with the average being around 8Mb. I will see what happens tonight.

Thanks for the update Marc.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

Great speeds on dsl out west.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Not looking good tonight.

bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73 to bbbc

to bbbc
what's the latest bbbc? I was sortof planning to switch from telus to teksavvy cable, but if the performance is crap then that idea isn't a good one.

I know from experience some shaw areas do degrade at night, but 5 mbps isn't shaw that has got to be teksavvy regardless what marc says about congestion. Am I wrong? how are your neighbors doing on shaw? better than you I surmise?

dxwntime
@teksavvy.com

dxwntime to bbbc

Anon

to bbbc

comminus
join:2012-12-18
Langley, BC

comminus to bluenote73

to bluenote73
I'm not seeing slow-downs like this at all during peak hours. I've been seeing 22 - 24.5mbps for speedtests during peak. I'll run some more tests and post results tonight when I get home. Location is everything, I suppose...
comminus

comminus to dxwntime

to dxwntime

So I got those ones, then these

Pretty jumpy results and definitely the worst I've seen. :/
ruiner3
Canada

ruiner3 to bbbc

to bbbc
Any updates? Has this been resolved yet?
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

I'm still getting congestion during prime time. Right now speed tests are running around the 15-18Mbps mark.

On a semi related note, I'm also seeing some some issues with the routing (currently running through Hurricane Electric) from Vancouver to Toronto (to Teksavvy servers, routers, and servers using TSI for net access). It's causing quite an issue with live video streaming and has been consistently occurring during prime since January or so.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

how are your shaw neighbours doing?

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Pretty shitty guys, what's up?
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

Sounds like you're on an overcrowded node.
Pray that shaw feels like splitting it. Until then you're SOL.
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73

how does aggregation fit into overloaded node? is this problem going away?
decx
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by bluenote73:

how does aggregation fit into overloaded node? is this problem going away?

Nope. An aggregated POI would help with POI capacility issues (unless the links to the aggregated POI is congested), but will not help with node congestion.
Beef Eater
join:2012-02-14
North York, ON

1 edit

Beef Eater to bbbc

to bbbc
Looks like the same old story still goes on...
Beef Eater

Beef Eater to bbbc

to bbbc
Looks like the same old story still goes on...

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

nah.

hahaaa
@videotron.ca

hahaaa to bbbc

Anon

to bbbc
You guys even testing on proven reliable servers?

90% of the servers on speedtest.net are poorly maintained, which gives bad results.
phlypsyde
join:2011-05-09
Vancouver, BC

phlypsyde to bbbc

to bbbc
Since ~ Dec 2012 I've noticed really bad congestion during peak times. Slow speeds and packet loss.

I have tested with 3 routers (dlink, asus, mikrotik) and all see the same issue with packet loss starting at the first hop outside my home network (Teksavvy).

I just got 4Mbps down but didn't have the share link. Ran again for 12 (I am on the 25 package).

I can get ~23-25 Mbps during off-peak hours.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4046.png

It would be great to know what is going to be done. It sounds like the new POI has already come and gone without improvement.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by phlypsyde:

Since ~ Dec 2012 I've noticed really bad congestion during peak times. Slow speeds and packet loss.

I just got 4Mbps down but didn't have the share link. Ran again for 12 (I am on the 25 package).

It would be great to know what is going to be done. It sounds like the new POI has already come and gone without improvement.

Hello,

Would it be possible for you to post your info in the »/forum ··· avdirect so we can take a look at the situation.

Thanks,
Martin
bluenote73
Canada

bluenote73 to bbbc

to bbbc
how about an update on this for those of us considering the service?
phlypsyde
Vancouver, BC

phlypsyde

It looks like I may have to switch to a Docsis 3 modem due to congestion on the shaw network. I'll update how this goes.

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to bluenote73

Anon

to bluenote73
guys - there IS no congestion on the shaw network. the only congestion is ON THE LOCAL NODE which will affect you anyway regardless of whether you are on TSI or Shaw.

i am using an SB5101 modem. it was picked up for free from a garbage bin in an office. it works great, DOCSIS 2.0, old and reliable.
i am in a non node congested area and the network is fine.
phlypsyde
Vancouver, BC

phlypsyde

Congestion on the local node is.... the Shaw network.

Correct, this congestion will impact regardless of provider. However, Teksavvy need to push their supplier for improvement if their customers experience degraded speeds due to node congestion.