Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

phlypsyde

join:2011-05-09
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to phlypsyde

Re: [Cable] TSI West (Shaw): Speed during peak hours?

I'm on a SB5101 as well. No problem with the modem. Congestion nightly around 9pm. Took 2 hours of troubleshooting and a week of back & forth with Teksavvy to get them to admit it.

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

9:40pm in Kitsilano on Teksavvy Cable 25Mbit package.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to bbbc

Thanks phlypsyde. I'll definitely be wary about signing up for shaw through teksavvy. Unfortunately their telus offering is a little less compelling based on the price. I guess I'll be waiting til the last possible minute.

bbbc any comments?

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

Teksavvy is helping me get a Docsis 3.0 modem as this may be an issue limited Docsis 2.0 customers. I'll update with my results on the new modem when I get it.

bcwetcoast

join:2012-01-06
Vancouver, BC
reply to bbbc

Teksavvy Vancouver Cable speeds April vs May so far

I'm not going to post number....

I've gone to the youtube speedtest page and it says my speeds are down roughly 30%. My watching habits on youtube has been constant.

For the past week I've had problems watching a youtube video!

Will send a ticket to Teksavvy. Will let you guys know what's up.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com

tsi is having problems with their router in BC. pings/packets were being dropped which was fixed but speeds have gone to crap.

this isnt congestion on the local node. its a problem with TSIs BC network.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Yep, we are expecting an upgrade very soon.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to fluffybunny

said by fluffybunny :

i am using an SB5101 modem. it was picked up for free from a garbage bin in an office. it works great, DOCSIS 2.0, old and reliable.

*Blinks*! Oh really! Oi, Though I'd wonder how you got that provisioned. If its not, you might be watching it for when the network gets around to doing an audit for athorized modems, or when the CMTS catches it.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com

its been working for over a year. dont know what you mean by provision but i just gave em the mac address, told them its a 5101 and it works fine.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Ah you got lucky then, yeah I had the impression you just found the modem in the garbage bin and just slapped it on the line. But if you gave 'em the mac address and those other details to get it put on thats the provisioning part, then I'd say you lucked out on the freebie modem after all.

Just so you know, maybe be aware sometime down the road you might have to switch to a docsis 3.0 unit. But for the time being it sounds like you're doing ok with the 5101. Cheers.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Teksavvy Vancouver Cable speeds April vs May so far

Hi Marc: Can you share some details of the upgrade? What are the symptoms of the Teksavvy BC Cable issues you are aware of, and what is the root cause fix?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by phlypsyde:

Hi Marc: Can you share some details of the upgrade? What are the symptoms of the Teksavvy BC Cable issues you are aware of, and what is the root cause fix?

It's related to capacity.. We keep waiting for additional links...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

afarrell

@xo.net
reply to bbbc

I'm in the Kitsilano area and just switched from Telus DSL to Tek Cable, both with 25 mbps download speed. With Teksavvy I get the advertised 25 mbps sometimes, but during peak hours it is really bad. I was down to anywhere from 2 - 8 mbps download speed on this past Sunday night. I was on the phone with tech support too, and we determined it was indeed shaw's network causing the slowness. Is there an ETA on the additional links/capacity? Telus was much more stable, but after investing the money into the start up costs and modem purchasing I would rather wait out these congestion issues.

Jedarius

join:2003-06-23
Burnaby, BC

It is also the same for me, I'm in the Burnaby/East Vancouver area, and am on the Teksavvy Cable 50 mbps plan. Off peak hours I get around 38/39 mbps, during peak hours it drops to around 10-15 mbps.

I would also like to know about the ETA on the additional capacity. If it is going to be a long time, I would probably drop back down to the 25 mbps plan.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Teksavvy Vancouver Cable speeds April vs May so far

ok, we just turned up an additional gig of capacity for the existing service. we now have two gig for that POI.

we continue to wait on two more gig links for the new areas. the physical links are installed but no traffic yet. so it's close.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

Hi Marc - What areas of Vancouver will this extra gig POI improve service for?

sc44

@teksavvy.com

I'm on TekSavvy dsl in Calgary (with exit node in Vancouver), and my speed during peak hours is fine, except every google related site (youtube.com, gmail.com, plus.google.com, maps.google.com) loads extremely slowly and unreliably. After 5pm, these sites work as they should.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been dealing with this for a while and I'm not sure what I can do. Anyone else notice similar behaviour?

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

Hi Sc44 - This thread is for Vancouver Cable Teksavvy customer issues. You may have better luck if you start up a new thread for Alberta DSL?

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

marc the problem is in your BC network and the extra gig didnt help any. i am in an area where local node congestion is zero and yet :

since the routing problems your service is no longer giving any decent speeds even when there is minimal congestion.

Jedarius

join:2003-06-23
Burnaby, BC

Doesn't seem like there has been much improvements for me.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4

0ms?

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to bbbc

25Mb profile

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to bbbc

Also on 25Mb:

blindpuppet

join:2011-01-14
Richmond, BC
reply to bbbc

...and also on 25Mb Profile out here in Richmond BC:

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC
reply to bbbc

25Mbit package - Teksavvy Cable - Kitsilano (Vancouver)
No improvement for me either...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

everything appears to checkout on our side, we have plenty of capacity everywhere... maybe do some traceroutes to see where it starts to slow down?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

Hi Marc -

This is exceptionally frustrating. I reported this around 2 months ago and Teksavvy denied having any capacity issue. I was forced to purchase a new Docsis 3 modem for further support. Obviously, my old modem was not at fault at all. I don't think Teksavvy agents intended to get me to buy hardware that wasn't needed, but Teksavvy has dropped the ball big-time here. Who should I be contacting to ensure I get credited for the amount of the modem that was not required? And, will you personally back me up on this?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

hum, not sure I follow how we dropped the ball big time. two months ago we did not have any congestion issues and even just before this upgrade from yesterday.. it seems from the lack of improvement that there wasn't a problem either.. certainly now we for sure have more than we need.. prior to the upgrade it was tight but certainly nothing that would cause half speeds... it seems to me that there is congestion of some sort on Shaw's end...

for the modem you purchased.. I mean, a docsis 3 modem is better than a D2 if that's what you had prior.. so, you are getting what you paid for..

so, having said that, I see your point that you just want your connection to work properly... I am for sure with you on that.

If I can suggest that we get to the bottom of the actual problem and see what can be done about it.. and then we can revisit your specific situation.. I'll get somebody to dig into this right away either way. there's clearly a problem somewhere... unless it's the speedtest server reporting wrong speeds...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
reply to bbbc

Just to let you know Marc, these posted tests are happening geographically far from one another in Metro Vancouver, up to 30 km.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by bbbc:

Just to let you know Marc, these posted tests are happening geographically far from one another in Metro Vancouver, up to 30 km.

right ok. something else than node congestion... I've got the team looking into it now. lets see what we can come up with. sorry for the headaches guys.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy