spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bgc

join:2003-01-23
Fort Smith, AR

[ALL] Why isn't there one download speed per tier for everyone?

Why are the download speeds not the same for everyone for each tier? The Ultimate in AR is 50Mbs down while others like VA, NV, and even most of La have 150Mbs down?

Even the preferred for me is 18Mbs down while others get 25Mbs down for the same tier? Why?

Thanks,
BGC

chrisf8657

join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

Re: [ALL] Why isn't there one download speed per tier for everyo

Different markets have different speeds based upon what the network infrastructure will handle/support. Just that simple.
--
~~Chris~~

Need a pro computer tech? See my profile for my website - I offer remote support services!

Acid343211GA

@cox.net

Didn't login!!

To the author which I think this should be illegal to do in my opinion am paying the same price for those that get this higher speed that I don't get.

Can any COX TECH confirm that MACON WARNER ROBINS BYRON GA will get these increases???

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12

said by Acid343211GA :

To the author which I think this should be illegal to do in my opinion am paying the same price for those that get this higher speed that I don't get.

It's the same for many things... milk, gas, homes, cars, accountants, jobs, etc. Different prices in different areas for the same thing.

It's not illegal, it's life.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to bgc

said by bgc:

Even the preferred for me is 18Mbs down while others get 25Mbs down for the same tier? Why?

Tiers are about profit. It costs the same to move data, regardless of the speed. E.g., entry level tier is priced at cost plus 5%, middle tier is priced at cost plus 12%, highest tier is priced at cost plus 20%.

The actual tier speeds are set by what the network can deliver in a given region.

Well, that is my SWAG; which probably isn't worth $0.02.

FWIW, my service does not have tiers; one price fits all. It isn't cable, though.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

I would disagree it cost the same to move data. Infrastructure, population dentistry, tax cuts, environment,cost of living and then good old fashion supply and demand. That all determine cost. If you have a small city, chances are you might be last to get the upgrade. I think the core issue is everyone wants the best and the fastest, sometimes it takes time. I just got my boost last week, here's hoping you get yours soon.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Optimus2357:

I would disagree it cost the same to move data. Infrastructure, population dentistry, tax cuts, environment,cost of living and then good old fashion supply and demand ...

Just citing what the CEO of my ISP says.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to bgc

It is amazing. Cox in NOLA has one tier of speeds....I am moving to Phoenix where the speeds are....massively better.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to NormanS

Oh, your ISP is not Cox? What brings you over to these parts of the forums I may ask? Just curious. And whats Swag?

chrisf8657

join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ
reply to Acid343211GA

Acid,

You constantly complain of Cox's service, price, just about everything. Your not going to change anything. Sorry but that's just the hard truth.

The East Coast & Central part of the USA is alot older than the west coast, and as such has alot older infrastructure in place. Sewers, water lines, communication lines, etc. are all getting VERY old over there and, absolutely, it's due for a major overhaul. Yes, Cox should make ALL of their markets the same, but it just can't be done with a snap of the fingers. They have to take into account their return on investment, cost to upgrade, viability of the upgrade, etc. etc. etc.

I suggest writing to the CEO if your dissatisfied. Maybe you'll get somewhere with him (maybe even find out they do have a plan to upgrade those areas) but crabbing on the forums isn't going to help.
--
~~Chris~~

Need a pro computer tech? See my profile for my website - I offer remote support services!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
reply to Optimus2357

Curiosity.
"Scientific Wild Ass Guess".

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to bgc

are Comcast's the same accross all markets?

VARTV

join:2003-06-11
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

reply to bgc

No one mentioned competition as a factor?

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA

said by VARTV:

No one mentioned competition as a factor?

Well right, didn't you know that each Cox area has a magical capacity meter that can tell the Cox Admin's what is their top speeds?

It just depends on things like competition, bribes, and fake capitalism.

Then...BOOM...the top speeds for Cox in areas of competition is much higher than the Cox areas with no competition.

AnonPhx

@cox.net

and what competition is there in the Phoenix market that would explain the sudden large speed upgrade?

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA

said by AnonPhx :

and what competition is there in the Phoenix market that would explain the sudden large speed upgrade?

Not sure.

AZ_OGM

join:2007-01-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to AnonPhx

Although it isn't widespread, but the company formerly known as Qwest is running FTTN in rich neighborhoods like North Scottsdale for quicker ROI. But in older neighborhoods in central Phoenix, don't expect to see much above 1.5. because it's too much hassle upgrading the old copper.