spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

Q9300 from E6600 worth the jump?

I'm currently on an E6600 (2.4GHz)... and I cannot yet buy a new motherboard to get the i5 or i7. So is it worth the upgrade from an E6600 to a Q9300 or Q9400. Will it make a difference in games like Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 or upcoming games? Thanks.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

You're wasting money. Put whatever the Q9300 costs (a quick glance shows ~$170 USD) towards an upgrade.

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

Actually, I meant E8400 (3.0 GHz) not E6600. Also the Q9300 I'm getting for approximately $90. And I'm selling the E8400 for $40, which means the Q9300 will cost me $50. I cannot buy a whole new rig yet.

The question is whether I will see some kind of increase (~10 FPS) in games such as Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 or not with the Q9300 or Q9550 as compared to the E8400? Will the extra 2 cores give me some kind of improvement which is worth spending $50?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Ah. You might, and it wouldn't hurt with resale value....

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

Thanks for your input. Do you have any benchmark of Core 2 Quad CPUs in more recent games (2011-2013)? Thanks again.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1

Crysis 3 loves multicore/thread processors, you are likely to see benefits there. Still, I'd put money spent for this on future upgrades.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Shivek

I wouldn't even consider buying anything less than Sandy Bridge.

With modern games, it has been shown that the Core Duo / Quads as well as the Nehalem based CPUs are starting to bottleneck in modern games --- so the best thing you could do is upgrade. It may be more expensive but it's not impossible to upgrade your motherboard and CPU to Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge for a couple hundred bucks, I would say $250 - 300 (without checking)

You only need a middle of the range i5 in SB or IB to break free of the CPU bottleneck.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by demir:

You only need a middle of the range i5 in SB or IB to break free of the CPU bottleneck.

Some of the newer games are starting to be limited by the I5-SB in my experience. I was able to increase my FPS on BF3 by approximately 10 when overclocking my I5-2500k from stock to 4.4ghz. I have seen a second example of this when one of my close friends reported framerate increases switching from an I5-2400 to an I7-2700k with no overclock and no other changes. Newer games are finally starting to utilize the full power of CPUs it seems.

Personally if I were to spend the money on an upgrade today it would be to an I7 ivybridge or the Sandy-E setups. Waiting a few months may bring Ivy-E and Haswell though. I guess I should state that I run higher resolutions than most so i'm not sure what effect I5 vs I7 has on 1920x1080.

demir
Premium
usa

With haswell so close, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to buy right now. Of course, it's going to be more expensive when it comes out, but you'll be able to nab better deals on IB by then.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

As it stands now Haswell will be a mess upon launch. You'll need to wait for a stepping fix anyways so that will take 3-6 months after release in my estimation.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

demir
Premium
usa

Do you think IB won't have price drops until the end of the year?

Shivek

@asianet.co.th
reply to Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok, you suggested me to get the i5... so I followed your suggestion and decided to get these:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe (socket 1155)
i5 3330 (Ivy Bridge)

I'm getting both for $190. Should I go for it?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by Shivek :

Krisnatharok, you suggested me to get the i5... so I followed your suggestion and decided to get these:

i5 3330 (Ivy Bridge)

Personally, no. The P67 set was the gimped version out of the gate and *may* have problems running that ivy bridge.

Just buy the cheapest B75/Z77 board you can find and go with that.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Shivek

said by Shivek :

i5 3330 (Ivy Bridge)

P67 is a "Sandy Bridge" motherboard, what I am reading around the net is that you would have to somehow flash the BIOS before the P67 mobo will recognize the Ivy Bridge CPU. That motherboard WILL NOT support the i5-3330 out of the box.

I would just grab a Z77 mobo to go with the i5-3330.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

How about the ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 3? Is that decent enough? BTW, the P8P67 Deluxe I'm getting is already updated to support Ivy Bridge. Then if my P8P67 Deluxe already supports Ivy Bridge, is there still any point for me to get the ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 3?

demir
Premium
usa

mid range IB i5 + decent mobo is pretty much the gaming workhorse currently.

If you can get that deal for $190 I'd jump on it, possibly try and get the Z77 Extreme4 (better board) if you can afford it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Shivek

said by Shivek :

How about the ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 3? Is that decent enough? BTW, the P8P67 Deluxe I'm getting is already updated to support Ivy Bridge. Then if my P8P67 Deluxe already supports Ivy Bridge, is there still any point for me to get the ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 3?

If the P67 will support IB out of the box, then you are good to go.
--

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

What should I get: i5 2500K or i5 3450? Which is better?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I thought you already picked it up. What do you currently have, mobo or CPU?

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

I've currently bought a Z77 motherboard. As for CPU, I'm waiting to buy it so just wanted to ask whether the i5 2500K or the i5 3450 is better as I'm getting both for good prices.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The 2500k if you want to overclock. Else get the 3450--it's a newer generation (Ivy Bridge, not Sandy Bridge), but both will work on the Z77 mobo.
--

Shivek

@asianet.co.th

I got the i5-3450 since like you said it's newer and I have a policy to never OC anything.