share rss forum feed

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream

WRT54G on dd-wrt firmware, unusually high CPU load...

First of all, I'm not a networking expert, just an amateur. This is a home network.

When I got home today, I realized that I was having some problems with web browsing, unreachable sites, unusually high ping, etc. So, first thing I did was took the router out of the equation. Problem went away.

Added the router back into the equation again, problem came back. Went to the router home page. I'm using WPA2 encryption with a randomly generated key. I checked to see if there were any unauthorized users on the network, and realized that there was an IP address that I didn't recognize using over 300 connections. I tried disabling wireless to see if someone was piggybacking, and the problem persisted. I also checked the amount of RAM being used, and it was less than 300, which from what I have read thus far is dangerously low as the CPU is trying to free up RAM at this point (CPU load climbs after resetting the router, all the way up to 100% before the router "crashes").

I'm confused as to how I should approach this problem because I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to go out and spend a bunch of money on a router unless I must. What seems to be the culprit here? I don't torrent. As far as I know, my roommate doesn't torrent, but my roommate downstairs torrents. I'm not sure if it's him...anywho, would torrenting cause this problem? Thanks.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14

1 recommendation

If you disabled wireless and theres still a bunch of connections, then maybe it's connected by wired?

Roomate easily could have gotten a new mac address, new laptop, etc. to download from.

And torrenting can cause these kinda problems. BTW isn't there a bandwidth monitor on DD-WRT, so just also check how much real-time bandwidth is being used. If its high bandwidth + high number of connections, it's p2p/torrents.

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

It was torrenting, and I fixed the problem by restricting his access and by a hard reset on the router. Hopefully this won't be a problem in the future (same roommate who always "forgets" to pay his part of the bill). I've already talked to him, and if it happens again, then he loses access until he can pay again. Thank goodness my finances are in good enough shape that I can afford this on my own!
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)