spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Why both fullframe & Widescrren on single DVD

Why do some DVDs come with a movies in both 16x9 widescreen & 4x3 fullframe formats on a single DVD disc??? I mean it's bad enough to have to compress the video + audio to fit the movie on an 8.5GB DVD but to have that movie in two different formats makes the compressed video + audio even worse because it's two movies on one 8.5GB DVD.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Because (1) some people have 16:9 TVs and some have 4:3 TVs, and (2) some of the people with 4:3 TVs get all upset at letterboxing and apparently prefer to have the sides of the picture thrown away before it gets to them.

Joey1973
@verizon.net

Joey1973 to floydb1982

Anon

to floydb1982
They can actually do both--full & wide--with one "print".
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

You mean it's the same bits-on-the-disc, it's just that one gets effectively cropped at playback time?

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I don't think so because the frame often can shift around for the best shot.

I think the practice of including both formats on the DVD started early on but then the industry shifted to doing them on separate presses.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Full screen (as in 4:3) should be going the way of the dodo now given that 16:9 screens are in wide use now in many countries around the world. Wide screen should now be the new full screen. Of course, there will always be the dorks that will complain that their wider than 16:9 movies have black bars on top and bottom and are "wasting" screen space.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 recommendation

aurgathor

Hell no. Material that was originally shot in 4:3 should stay 4:3 instead of being bastardized.

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

That was not what I meant. So-called "Full screen" DVDs don't fill the screen in a 16:9 display. Only 16:9 content does which should now be called "full screen". I was not saying that 4:3 content should be cropped.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i agree. i bought an old DVD of Good Fellows and it was recorded in a 4:3 frame with the black bars encoded into the video signal.

i traded the dvd at HMV and bought the same one on blue ray, this time the film was true widescreen 16x9 the black bars were not ecoded in the movie and the film filled in my screen fully. so yea older dvds may be like this theyre crap dont buy those discount bins at walmart or k mart or zellers any more

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
said by Michail:

I think the practice of including both formats on the DVD started early on but then the industry shifted to doing them on separate presses.

on some newer shot movies, the camera operator will try to keep the subject materiel in a "safe zone" - this is evident especially on live news being broadcast @ 16x9.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by EliteData:

said by Michail:

on some newer shot movies, the camera operator will try to keep the subject materiel in a "safe zone" - this is evident especially on live news being broadcast @ 16x9.

Yes, true most of the time but I have seen cases in 4:3 where the frame slides around.

I think the reason DVDs originally had both formats but then switched had something to do with Walmart. At least that was the rumor when I was working in DVD ecommerce.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
What movie was this ? I've seen DVDs in the past in which the movie was relatively short and there were NO extras. In this case, it was simply a case of having room for both.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to printscreen

to printscreen
said by printscreen:

That was not what I meant. So-called "Full screen" DVDs don't fill the screen in a 16:9 display. Only 16:9 content does which should now be called "full screen". I was not saying that 4:3 content should be cropped.

Calling 16:9 "full screen" will further confuse the issue as "full screen" has always meant 4:3 and "wide screen" has always meant 16:9.

BTW: 4:3 is not cropped to fit 16:9 it is stretched to fill. Personally I find stretching worse than cropping, as it distorts the picture.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to printscreen

MVM

to printscreen
said by printscreen:

Wide screen should now be the new full screen.

On a 4:3 TV ? They are still out there...

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to b10010011

Mod

to b10010011
said by b10010011:

Calling 16:9 "full screen" will further confuse the issue as "full screen" has always meant 4:3 and "wide screen" has always meant 16:9.

That is not true. Widescreen is anything wider than 4:3

"Widescreen images are a variety of aspect ratios used in film, television and computer screens. In film, a widescreen film is any film image with a width-to-height aspect ratio greater than the standard 1.37:1 Academy aspect ratio provided by 35mm film."

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

said by robbin:

That is not true. Widescreen is anything wider than 4:3

Yeah, you know what I meant.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Maybe I did, but it's possible that everyone reading the thread didn't.

printscreen
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to b10010011

to b10010011
said by b10010011:

BTW: 4:3 is not cropped to fit 16:9 it is stretched to fill. Personally I find stretching worse than cropping, as it distorts the picture.

I don't think anyone crops 4:3 to fit a 16:9 screen. But they do crop wide formats to fit 4:3 screens. Stretching is normally done by the TV and depends on whatever settings you have in your 16:9 TV. Many people have theirs set to stretch SD content just because they want to see the screen full in their HDTV and feel they are wasting screen space by not doing so.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by printscreen:

Many people have theirs set to stretch SD content just because they want to see the screen full in their HDTV and feel they are wasting screen space by not doing so.

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to printscreen

Premium Member

to printscreen
said by printscreen:

said by b10010011:

I don't think anyone crops 4:3 to fit a 16:9 screen. But they do crop wide formats to fit 4:3 screens. Stretching is normally done by the TV and depends on whatever settings you have in your 16:9 TV. Many people have theirs set to stretch SD content just because they want to see the screen full in their HDTV and feel they are wasting screen space by not doing so.

sometimes, if the movie is reasonably shot in the 4x3 "safe zones" and is of decent quality, i may 1x zoom on a 4x3 picture and adjust the vertical position.