rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired

Re: Unplug stuff?

Yup. I remember well being bit by a toaster (turned off) as a kid, as well as an electric frying pan. Weather this was due to a malfunction in the appliance or poor design, I do not know. It taught me to play it safe , at least with things with an exposed element
On the other subject of a heater on a timer, I can see where that could be its own problem if something were to come into contact with the heater unexpectedly. In my opinion any type heater that when covered by a blanket could cause combustion (even with overheat or other safety) should be manually turned on. Imagine getting up early in a rush for a plane or something and you throw a man made fiber shirt on the bed, which falls on an electric space heater. It turns on just after you leave and the shirt melts onto the element and catches fire before the safety kills it. Not a good thing.
Not the same thing, but close was the recent story in here of the person who left the clothes basket on the grill of an in-floor furnace. Plastic melted onto the furnace and started the fire.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by rfnut:

On the other subject of a heater on a timer, I can see where that could be its own problem if something were to come into contact with the heater unexpectedly. In my opinion any type heater that when covered by a blanket could cause combustion (even with overheat or other safety) should be manually turned on. Imagine getting up early in a rush for a plane or something and you throw a man made fiber shirt on the bed, which falls on an electric space heater. It turns on just after you leave and the shirt melts onto the element and catches fire before the safety kills it.

It seems like those problems are easily solved. Get a programmable plug-in timer made for use with heaters and a wall or ceiling mountable heater.