Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Getting a Mac Pro

Getting a Mac Pro for free,....!!!!

My Wife recently was given a new 2013 iMac 27" at work which was an upgrade from a 2010 model iMac 27" (I think). She has an old Mac Pro at her desk too. She asked if she could have it since it has fallen into disuse and they said yes.

So all she has to do is get a letter from IT to take it home (security reasons, can't just have people walking out with stuff). Its probably an old Core 2 Quad class Xeon but free is free,.....

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

I'm so jealous right now ...

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike to Octavean

Mod

to Octavean
Pop out the old junk drives, throw some SSDs in there and you have a fairly ok machine.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
said by not quite right:

I'm so jealous right now ...

Well nothing is written in stone so I guess something could happen to throw a monkeywrench into the plans but I expect thing will go to plan. Monday's are usually too busy so Tuesday is the earliest we could take it home. Failing that then Thursday would be the fallback.

Then there are little issues that are not so little like the Mac Pro being too big and heavy for my Wife to manage moving and me not being able to find parking in midtown Manhattan.

We'll work it out though. If all goes well I'll post pictures here.
said by Mike:

Pop out the old junk drives, throw some SSDs in there and you have a fairly ok machine.

That's a great idea, thanks,...

I have a number off SSD units on the shelf now I could conceivably install ranging from a 240GB Intel 330, Crucial M4 256GB, OCZ Agility 3 360GB and two 240GB OCZ Vertex.

Or I could buy a RAID card compatable with OS X and install them all in RAID 0,......

I don't expect it will come with any discs though so I'm not exactly sure how I would install OS X on a new drive SSD or otherwise,...

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

2 edits

planet

»www.bombich.com/

Mac HDD cloning software.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
You can do a soft RAID through disk utility, no need to pick up a RAID card but you will need some mounts for those 2.5" drives. If you have purchased ML from the app store on any of your other Macs, you can extract the image from the installer and restore that image to a USB stick. Then just install a clean ML off the stick (unless it is a 2006 / EFI32 MP then you can only run Lion).

Andy1
@verizon.net

Andy1 to Octavean

Anon

to Octavean
ssd won't work with mac raid

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan