share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Question about Cable Modem Logs

Click for full size
Last night my cable modem "rebooted" itself. I'm not sure if that is the proper term or not, but if you look at the 1st picture, you can see the uptime on my modem is just under 11 hours. I did not do anything to cause that on my end; meaning, the power did not go out, I did not press the reset button, unplug it and pull the battery, etc. But, I do know that during that time, I did loose my connection to the internet.

So, this morning, I went to look at my modem logs to see if I could figure out why.

Now, today is March 2nd around 9:55 AM. 10 hours ago would put my local time a little bit before midnight on the 1st of March.

So, I kind of expected to see log entries with dates of 3/1/2013 or even 2/28/2013. However, the most recent log entry shown is 2/26/2013 @ 2:57 AM (I know its AM, as the time is in 24 hour format).

Then I also see a bunch of entries that have a date/time of 1/1/1970 0:00.

I don't get why all those entries are there, not to mention anything prior to, or after the "reboot" took place 11 hours ago.

With such bad logging, how can one read the logs to figure out what is going on?

Speaking of the logs (now that I have posted them). Does anything jump out at anyone that needs to be looked into or fixed?

Thanks in advance,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
A modem reboot does not generally erase the logs. A reset to defaults generally will erase the logs.

The date of 1/1/1970 is epoch time as used by Precision Time Protocol.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I understand that a reboot won't delete / clean the logs. That would be bad from a troubleshooting standpoint.

I can also see the date of 1/1/1970 coming up as the modem first "boots" so to speak, until it connects to the time server to get the proper date/time loaded.

However, if that was the case, I would have thought I would have seen events prior to the reboot with the proper date/time, then a bunch with 1/1/1970 as it went though its startup sequence, and then events with the proper date/time after it connected to the time server.

Yet, that is not what I'm seeing which is why I'm asking.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Couple of things... Check the PacketCable(MTA) Events further down in the log. See if anything is recorded there. Also, have you done a speed test? Maybe you got an automatic speed upgrade- they are in the process of being rolled out.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Click for full size
Above is the PacketCable(MTA) Events.

As far as getting the new configuration file to disable power boost and increase my upload / download speeds, I don't think so. Below is what Shperprobe is reporting, and it still lists shaping rates for both upload and download at this point.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 74.63.50.21.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4292 Kbps.
Downstream: 25574 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4815-4893 KB;
Shaping rate: 2165 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9529-10052 KB;
Shaping rate: 15978 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Well, as you can see, you had some activity on 3/1. Could have just been some work out on the street somewhere, or maybe at the head end. Nothing to worry about.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I figured it was nothing major to worry about. Just wanted to post in case there was anything.

Thanks for looking!

--Brian