how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Michael9009

join:2006-07-28
Toronto, ON

[Internet] Bell Downgraded My Upload Speed

I used to be on a 25/7 Mbps plan with Bell. In October 2012 I contacted BEO and requested an upgrade to the newer 25/10 Mbps plan. This was done within days and I also received an e-mail from Bell confirming the change. My upload speed was excellent getting something like 9.9 Mbps on speedtest.net. I believe the last speed test I did was in January and everything was still fine.

However, I performed another speed test last week and I was totally surprised that my upload speed was now back to 7 Mbps. What is going on? Why would Bell downgrade my upload speed without even notifying me? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by Michael9009:

I used to be on a 25/7 Mbps plan with Bell. In October 2012 I contacted BEO and requested an upgrade to the newer 25/10 Mbps plan. This was done within days and I also received an e-mail from Bell confirming the change. My upload speed was excellent getting something like 9.9 Mbps on speedtest.net. I believe the last speed test I did was in January and everything was still fine.

However, I performed another speed test last week and I was totally surprised that my upload speed was now back to 7 Mbps. What is going on? Why would Bell downgrade my upload speed without even notifying me? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

Why haven't you contacted them ? You don't even know if Bell downgraded your speed or if you have a issue with your line.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON

said by kovy:

Why haven't you contacted them ? You don't even know if Bell downgraded your speed or if you have a issue with your line.

I did call the fellow from the BEO that I had contacted last time and I left two messages at the beginning of last week but I haven't heard back since.

For three months my upload speed was fantastic at 10 Mbps, with no errors or stability issues, nothing; why would I have a problem with the line? And now the upload speed is exactly back to what it was before: 7 Mbps.

Speaking about line quality: Is there a way to read the line stats from the Sagemcom VDSL modem?

kovy

said by Michael9009:

said by kovy:

I did call the fellow from the BEO that I had contacted last time and I left two messages at the beginning of last week but I haven't heard back since.

For three months my upload speed was fantastic at 10 Mbps, with no errors or stability issues, nothing; why would I have a problem with the line? And now the upload speed is exactly back to what it was before: 7 Mbps.

Speaking about line quality: Is there a way to read the line stats from the Sagemcom VDSL modem?

There's a nice Direct Forum here »Bell Canada Direct

I'm not sure who you're contacting...

From what I can tell, it's this "robot" in Webcare that does this when he sees the line being borderline unstable and it changes the profile. What you can ask from the direct forum is puting you back on 10mbps and disable the robot feature.

atomas31

join:2004-10-20
Anjou, QC
reply to Michael9009

Well, I have upgraded my Fibe 16/1 to 25/10 and I also don't have the 10Mb/s speed in upload... My line is suppose to be able to support a maximum speed in upload of 11Mb/s but they don't want to put me on a profile higher than 8Mb/s (wich give me speed around 7Mb/s). From what they have told me is : if they put my upload profile at 10Mb/s that will result in constant internet deconnection and a lower speed services... Don't know if this is true???

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to kovy

said by kovy:

I have the phone number of a fellow at the Bell EO with whom I spoke before. I called him twice this week and left messages but I'm still waiting for a call back. I also contacted a CSR today through online chat (in India likely) and she escalated the case to technical support.

said by kovy:

From what I can tell, it's this "robot" in Webcare that does this when he sees the line being borderline unstable and it changes the profile. What you can ask from the direct forum is puting you back on 10mbps and disable the robot feature.

My upload speed has worked fine at 10 Mbps for at least three months and I did not notice any instability issues. It would be weird for the "robot" to downgrade me after three months. Could it be maybe a capacity issue of the remote I am connected to?

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to atomas31

said by atomas31:

Well, I have upgraded my Fibe 16/1 to 25/10 and I also don't have the 10Mb/s speed in upload... My line is suppose to be able to support a maximum speed in upload of 11Mb/s but they don't want to put me on a profile higher than 8Mb/s (wich give me speed around 7Mb/s). From what they have told me is : if they put my upload profile at 10Mb/s that will result in constant internet deconnection and a lower speed services... Don't know if this is true???

You could try to ask Bell to put you on the appropriate profile and see how it goes. In my case, I was told that my line can easily support 10 Mbps upload and I was placed on that speed for at least three months with absolutely no problem before I was downgraded back to 7 Mbps.

kovy

reply to Michael9009

said by Michael9009:

said by kovy:

I have the phone number of a fellow at the Bell EO with whom I spoke before. I called him twice this week and left messages but I'm still waiting for a call back. I also contacted a CSR today through online chat (in India likely) and she escalated the case to technical support.

said by kovy:

My upload speed has worked fine at 10 Mbps for at least three months and I did not notice any instability issues. It would be weird for the "robot" to downgrade me after three months. Could it be maybe a capacity issue of the remote I am connected to?

No, I'm a 100% it's the robot related webcare. If it was related to capacity issues, i'm pretty sure your download would be hit first as it's higher.

Again, the people you contact are worthless, try the direct forum... or wait I guess.

atomas31

join:2004-10-20
Anjou, QC
reply to Michael9009

They finally, from the forum Bell Direct, accept to put my profil on the 10Mb/s for my upload... I got very fast upload and no problems with my line like they use to say for not given me the 10Mb/s profil!

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to kovy

UPDATE: I posted in the Direct Forum and Bell Darryl kindly put back my upload speed profile to 10 Mbps.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2553617400.png (The test was conducted on LAN.)

However, my latency went up four times, to 20 ms. Ever since I switched to VDSL I had a latency of 5 ms regardless of whether I was on a 25/7 or 25/10 profile. I am not sure what happened now, but hopefully Darryl will be able to solve this problem.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

He can definitely solve that, it was probably by accident. The profiles have confusing names and sometimes people choose the wrong one.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON

I do hope he could solve it and I am confident he would. However, I don't understand the concept of having two profiles having the same speed (25/10) but different latency (20 ms vs. 5 ms). Any idea why this would happen? In the good ol'days of ADSL there were the interleaved and fast path flavours that could affect the latency. I might be wrong but I don't think this applies to VDSL2. Any insight?

kovy

said by Michael9009:

I do hope he could solve it and I am confident he would. However, I don't understand the concept of having two profiles having the same speed (25/10) but different latency (20 ms vs. 5 ms). Any idea why this would happen? In the good ol'days of ADSL there were the interleaved and fast path flavours that could affect the latency. I might be wrong but I don't think this applies to VDSL2. Any insight?

Yes it applies to VDSL2 aswell, well similar... it's called noise impulse.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON

Oh, so you think I might have been put on a "noise impulse" profile and that's why my latency increased four times? What is the name of the other type, the one that would provide a 5 ms latency like I had before?

kovy

reply to Michael9009

said by Michael9009:

You want the one with no noise impulse.

It's just like ADSL... one profile for error correction and the other doesn't.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON

said by kovy:

Thanks, kovy, you've always been very helpful.

Bell Darryl switched my profile back to fast path, so my latency is again 5 ms now, but my upload speed went down again, this time to 9 Mbps.

Not sure what's happening but I think we're getting there. One more iteration...

kovy

said by Michael9009:

said by kovy:

Thanks, kovy, you've always been very helpful.

Bell Darryl switched my profile back to fast path, so my latency is again 5 ms now, but my upload speed went down again, this time to 9 Mbps.

Not sure what's happening but I think we're getting there. One more iteration...

As I fear... you're line seems to have degraded hence why the robot lowered your profile...

Michael9009

Toronto, ON

kovy, you were perfectly right about my issue.

Here is an update. After contacting the Executive Office and posting in the Direct Forum, over the last few weeks I was contacted by several Bell technical representatives who, after listening to my story, repeatedly changed the profile to 10 Mbps upload speed (or, sometimes, to 8 or 9 Mbps upload speed, depending on the person), only to have the speed revert to 7 Mbps the following day. This automatic action would happen always at approximately 13:50.

Finally, one technician took whatever necessary measures he had to take and disabled the automatic robot on my line which indeed was the one that kept on downgrading my upload speed. It's been now 1-1/2 weeks since the robot is gone and, although my line is almost at capacity for upload, the line appears to be very stable and I am enjoying again the 10 Mbps upload speed. It's been fantastic!

My understanding is that the nuisance robot was installed sometime at the beginning of this year, which explains the fact that I had enjoyed an excellent upload speed for four months, before the robot was installed.

Thanks, kovy, for your great advice and for being right.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Michael9009

So your line has degraded somewhat? And no technician has been dispatched to actually correct the issue? Instead we have just disabled the robot???

kovy

reply to Michael9009

said by Michael9009:

kovy, you were perfectly right about my issue.

Here is an update. After contacting the Executive Office and posting in the Direct Forum, over the last few weeks I was contacted by several Bell technical representatives who, after listening to my story, repeatedly changed the profile to 10 Mbps upload speed (or, sometimes, to 8 or 9 Mbps upload speed, depending on the person), only to have the speed revert to 7 Mbps the following day. This automatic action would happen always at approximately 13:50.

Finally, one technician took whatever necessary measures he had to take and disabled the automatic robot on my line which indeed was the one that kept on downgrading my upload speed. It's been now 1-1/2 weeks since the robot is gone and, although my line is almost at capacity for upload, the line appears to be very stable and I am enjoying again the 10 Mbps upload speed. It's been fantastic!

My understanding is that the nuisance robot was installed sometime at the beginning of this year, which explains the fact that I had enjoyed an excellent upload speed for four months, before the robot was installed.

Thanks, kovy, for your great advice and for being right.

No prob!

kovy

reply to urbang33k

said by urbang33k:

So your line has degraded somewhat? And no technician has been dispatched to actually correct the issue? Instead we have just disabled the robot???

Well, it's kind of hard since he's getting the advertised speed...

I'm just not sure on what make the robot do a speed change... we all know line stats upload on IKNS never look good.

pmcdunnough

join:2012-02-03
reply to kovy

Do these robots have the power to permanently change the profile without any human input?

philip

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to urbang33k

said by urbang33k:

No, I think that the line has not changed at all and it was always used close to its upload capacity. But, as I understand, before February there was no robot to bring the speed down automatically.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to Michael9009

Click for full size

These are a couple of speed tests I performed tonight through Wi-Fi.

kovy

reply to pmcdunnough

said by pmcdunnough:

Do these robots have the power to permanently change the profile without any human input?

philip

Yes, or else this wouldn't be happening to the TC.

mmoose

join:2010-12-20

This is my issue exactly. I had 25/7 and was getting 7mbps upload speed. Was switched by loyalty department to 25/10 telling me it was a better deal. Lo and behold, my upload dropped to less than 5mbps. Called bell no result, posted in direct forum and line was tweaked to almost 5.5mbps and was told this was the max my line could handle. If this is the case why was I getting 7mbps before? It is confusing and frustrating when no one can help and no explanations are given.

llort

join:2006-10-30
Scarborough, ON

I would like to know how Bell disabled the robot.

CCTSCPRST

join:2012-12-10
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Michael9009

Good afternoon,

it appears that you are experiencing service delivery issues with your internet.

If you're unable to come to a reasonable resolution after having contacted your provider, you may wish to file a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS). We're an independent organization that works with you and your participating Canadian telecommunications service provider to resolve complaints.

Visit »ccts-cprst.ca for more information, and to file a complaint.
--
Visit us at ccts-cprst.ca
Call us at 1-888-221-1687

Michael9009

Toronto, ON

said by CCTSCPRST:

Good afternoon,

it appears that you are experiencing service delivery issues with your internet.

If you're unable to come to a reasonable resolution after having contacted your provider, you may wish to file a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS). We're an independent organization that works with you and your participating Canadian telecommunications service provider to resolve complaints.

Visit »ccts-cprst.ca for more information, and to file a complaint.

No, not true. Bell eventually resolved the technical problem that was preventing me from obtaining the prescribed upload speed. It took a little while to pinpoint the problem but so far I am very happy with the resolution.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to Michael9009

I've been meaning to look into this in the direct forum, but I'll post here first to get more info about this "robot".

I'm a legacy Sympatico HSE subscriber (no bandwidth caps) but my service is just a plain 6-mb connection. The last time I looked at my sync, it was 7040/800. The best upload speed I remember ever getting was 666 kbits/sec, and on a good day I could download at 750 kbytes/sec (from a combination of file lockers).

For the past few months the best upload speed I get is a consistent 400 kbits/sec, and download is a jumpy 50xx kbits/sec.

Because I monitor a couple of home web-cams from $Dayjob, my bandwidth usage is such that my upload usage is about twice my download usage (according to Bell's internet usage information). We're talking about maybe 80 to 100 gb/month upload. (two 640x480 camera images uploaded once per second, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, each image being maybe 15 to 30 kb in size).

So tell me more about the "magic words" I need to tell the tech in the direct forum to get these robots off my back...