uniqs
share rss forum feed

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to urbang33k

Re: [Internet] Bell Downgraded My Upload Speed

said by urbang33k:

So your line has degraded somewhat? And no technician has been dispatched to actually correct the issue? Instead we have just disabled the robot???

Well, it's kind of hard since he's getting the advertised speed...

I'm just not sure on what make the robot do a speed change... we all know line stats upload on IKNS never look good.

pmcdunnough

join:2012-02-03
reply to kovy7
Do these robots have the power to permanently change the profile without any human input?

philip

Michael9009

join:2006-07-28
Toronto, ON
reply to urbang33k
said by urbang33k:

So your line has degraded somewhat? And no technician has been dispatched to actually correct the issue? Instead we have just disabled the robot???

No, I think that the line has not changed at all and it was always used close to its upload capacity. But, as I understand, before February there was no robot to bring the speed down automatically.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to Michael9009
Click for full size

These are a couple of speed tests I performed tonight through Wi-Fi.

kovy7

reply to pmcdunnough
said by pmcdunnough:

Do these robots have the power to permanently change the profile without any human input?

philip

Yes, or else this wouldn't be happening to the TC.

mmoose

join:2010-12-20
This is my issue exactly. I had 25/7 and was getting 7mbps upload speed. Was switched by loyalty department to 25/10 telling me it was a better deal. Lo and behold, my upload dropped to less than 5mbps. Called bell no result, posted in direct forum and line was tweaked to almost 5.5mbps and was told this was the max my line could handle. If this is the case why was I getting 7mbps before? It is confusing and frustrating when no one can help and no explanations are given.

llort

join:2006-10-30
Scarborough, ON
I would like to know how Bell disabled the robot.

CCTSCPRST

join:2012-12-10
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Michael9009
Good afternoon,

it appears that you are experiencing service delivery issues with your internet.

If you're unable to come to a reasonable resolution after having contacted your provider, you may wish to file a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS). We're an independent organization that works with you and your participating Canadian telecommunications service provider to resolve complaints.

Visit »ccts-cprst.ca for more information, and to file a complaint.
--
Visit us at ccts-cprst.ca
Call us at 1-888-221-1687

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
said by CCTSCPRST:

Good afternoon,

it appears that you are experiencing service delivery issues with your internet.

If you're unable to come to a reasonable resolution after having contacted your provider, you may wish to file a complaint with the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS). We're an independent organization that works with you and your participating Canadian telecommunications service provider to resolve complaints.

Visit »ccts-cprst.ca for more information, and to file a complaint.

No, not true. Bell eventually resolved the technical problem that was preventing me from obtaining the prescribed upload speed. It took a little while to pinpoint the problem but so far I am very happy with the resolution.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to Michael9009
I've been meaning to look into this in the direct forum, but I'll post here first to get more info about this "robot".

I'm a legacy Sympatico HSE subscriber (no bandwidth caps) but my service is just a plain 6-mb connection. The last time I looked at my sync, it was 7040/800. The best upload speed I remember ever getting was 666 kbits/sec, and on a good day I could download at 750 kbytes/sec (from a combination of file lockers).

For the past few months the best upload speed I get is a consistent 400 kbits/sec, and download is a jumpy 50xx kbits/sec.

Because I monitor a couple of home web-cams from $Dayjob, my bandwidth usage is such that my upload usage is about twice my download usage (according to Bell's internet usage information). We're talking about maybe 80 to 100 gb/month upload. (two 640x480 camera images uploaded once per second, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, each image being maybe 15 to 30 kb in size).

So tell me more about the "magic words" I need to tell the tech in the direct forum to get these robots off my back...

kovy7

said by sm5w2:

I've been meaning to look into this in the direct forum, but I'll post here first to get more info about this "robot".

I'm a legacy Sympatico HSE subscriber (no bandwidth caps) but my service is just a plain 6-mb connection. The last time I looked at my sync, it was 7040/800. The best upload speed I remember ever getting was 666 kbits/sec, and on a good day I could download at 750 kbytes/sec (from a combination of file lockers).

For the past few months the best upload speed I get is a consistent 400 kbits/sec, and download is a jumpy 50xx kbits/sec.

Because I monitor a couple of home web-cams from $Dayjob, my bandwidth usage is such that my upload usage is about twice my download usage (according to Bell's internet usage information). We're talking about maybe 80 to 100 gb/month upload. (two 640x480 camera images uploaded once per second, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, each image being maybe 15 to 30 kb in size).

So tell me more about the "magic words" I need to tell the tech in the direct forum to get these robots off my back...

not all slams have this robot, so for you it may be a line problem.

Michael9009

Toronto, ON
reply to Michael9009
I just have a frustrating UPDATE:

Bell disabled the robot on my line and then put me on an 11 Mbps upload profile which should give a 10 Mbps upload speed at my end. They were saying that, for some unknown reason, my line utilization varies between 94 and 105% at that speed, and they were not sure about the reason for these fluctuations. A technician was dispatched, he installed a POTS splitter (not sure why, because I have a dry loop line) and said that, according to his measurements, the line looks perfectly normal and I should get the 10 Mbps upload speed, no problem.

After further discussions with Bell technicians, we agreed to leave my line on the 11 Mbps profile, with the understanding that the line might become unstable and even lose sync. I accepted that risk. However, from early May until 20 June, when I went overseas on business, my upload speed was systematically about 10.2 Mbps and the line was perfectly stable. Excellent.

I left the country on 20 June and I turned my modem off. I came back on 15 July (yesterday), powered up everything and, to my total astonishment, I can now only get 5.7 Mbps upload speed, consistently. I restarted / rebooted the modem several times but the upload speed did not increase at all.

This issue is now becoming terribly frustrating. It's a problem that first appeared in January or February. Bell seems to be clueless about it and I am not sure how to proceed next. Any suggestions on what might have happened and what I should do next are appreciated. Thank you.