spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

K_e_v_i_n

@myvzw.com

Verizon Homefusion Installation / Reliability in Woods

Good day. I live in a rural area and currently have Verizon 4G LTE as my ISP. I have had it for close to a year and a half, but the service has been very unreliable for the last few months. With few options available that allow me to work from home, I am considering going with another Verizon service: Homefusion.

I have two questions:
1) I am admittedly picky about how they will install the device. Specifically, I am wondering how they install the wire from the cantenna to the router. The Verizon reps I talked to did not know and said they could not contact the installer directly (I find that odd that they could not call anyone, but that is another story). In any case, does anyone know if these installers would be open to going though the attic and then lowering it through a wall to reach the router, or will they insist on drilling through the exterior of the house? I realize it may vary depending on who is installing it, but I am just looking for the experience of others.

2) I live in the woods and about 5 miles or so from the tower, which is the explanation I have been given for spotty 4G service (although that really does not explain why it worked so well for the first 6+ months, but again, I digress...). Would you think this would help in a situation like this, or will the fact that I live in the woods cause too much interference?

Thanks!

Kevin

rza49311

join:2010-11-11
united state
Do you currently use an aircard or mifi? If so, you might want to stick with it and try a booster like the Wilson Sleek 4G. The reason I say that is because with homefusion, its 4G only. With an aircard or mifi, you can fall back on 3G and 1x in case 4G doesn't work. Sorry I did not answer either of your questions

MitchL

join:2001-09-23
Kingsford, MI
reply to K_e_v_i_n
They will install it however you would like, if you want to run the cable yourself, I am sure the installer would be greatful. It is regular RG6 with ground wire attached to it, that goes to a ground block, then to a power insterter (same as directv uses) then to the router, all with RG6. It does have better reception than a mifi or phone will have, so it should help your signal issues. When the installer comes out he should verify the signal before the install.
--
Previous DirecPC & Starband Victim, but I got the last laugh cause now I'm on cable!

K_e_v_i_n

@myvzw.com
reply to K_e_v_i_n
Thank you both for the replies.

Rza, that's not a bad idea. I already have that little $15 Verizon antenna, but to be honest, I'm not sure that is helping at all. But I have not considered a booster like you had suggested. I have a USB modem (Pantech UML290) that I use. I might consider this option, but another plus of Homefusion is that I can bump up my 10 GB limit to 30 GB (albeit for a good chunk of change more), but I do not have that option with my current plan. Still, this is a good idea that I will consider if I decide not to go with Homefusion.

Mitch, do you know if they will run the cable through the attic and wall (even if they charge a little extra for extra cable and/or time), or is that something that they would insist I do?

Thanks again.

Kevin

rza49311

join:2010-11-11
united state
No problem. I can't blame you for wanting a higher data cap. I'm in a similar situation as you really. I currently have a mifi and wouldn't mind homefusion if it'll work. I have to keep the mifi stuck up in a window for service. However, the difference is I could keep the aircard as a backup(work would pay for both, I'm in IT). Sadly, no 4G in my area yet.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
if you want a higher data cap go with the Millenicom hotspot plan ..20GB, no taxes, flat $70 a month ... no contract
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

LTE4LIFE

join:2013-02-28
reply to MitchL
I will concur with this.. I used the existing coax cable run that was used for my Hughesnet Gen4 service. HomeFusion works great for me despite the occasional dropping which is supposedly going to be fixed in a future firmware update.

The HF installer had a battery pack that he used to apply power to the cantenna. He confirmed signal when the cantenna showed a solid green light. If it had shown a red light it was a no go. If it had shown a blue light, it meant I was in a fringe area and it was up to me to go with the install.

Luckily I'm only a little over 2 miles from the 400ft. tower that's just north of me.

admin123

@myvzw.com
reply to Jim_in_VA
HF has a 30gb plan that has a higher cap plan. You mean Millenicom has a cheaper plan.

LTE4LIFE

I don't know if this applies to all HF subscribers, but for the first 2 months HF offers a 45GB promo when signing up. At least that's what I got. Now going on my 3rd month so it will be back to 30GB. I can only hope that VZW raises the caps for HF users. They can't be serious to think 30GB will suit most families. Even with me setting the video quality on YouTube to 360p, I'm still going over 30GB. If they want to draw customers away from satellite that would a good start with say around 50GB.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
It would be good just for the sake of innovation if they increased it.. I agree, start with 50 gigs and work their way up.. If they wanted people to be less careful with their service usage they could drop the per gig overage cost a bit too... It is way over priced atm

rb5505

join:2013-02-06
Stoughton, WI
reply to K_e_v_i_n
»Re: [General] HomeFusion or Millenicom 3G/4G Hotspot Plan?

BoroGuy33

@faa.gov
reply to K_e_v_i_n
Kevin,
I've had HF for 7 months now and except for a 2 week period where the Cantenna died, it has worked great. The occassional dropped signal but I've read that is a firmware problem they are working on it. My HF Cantenna is mounted on the back of my house where signal is strongest. they drilled a hole into the basement and ran the cable into there and installed the router there. 2000 sqr ft house and the signal reaches everywhere.

I also live with a large wooded area between me and the VZW Towers and I get around 15mbs down and 4-5mbs up for speed.

Now, As Jim said, the Millenicom MIFI Package is a very good deal. Set my brother up with that as he did not want a contract and he loves it. I used an external antenna mounted on his deck I bought from the 3G store (the $57 Omni Antenna). He also has the woods between him and the towers and he gets around 6-10mbs down and 3-4mbs up with the 4620L Mifi (I think that was the model number). Definitely something to look at.
Good Luck.

HKShooter

join:2013-04-06
Chesapeake, VA
reply to K_e_v_i_n
Anyone have problems with the HF quota being used up unexplainable? I read in other forums where new owners had verizon tell them their 10GB or 15GB was used up within a day, yet they knew nothing on their home network had used that much data.
Unplugging the Verizon modem was the only thing that stopped the leak. Rumors of it being a known issue, and a firmware fix was due out soon.

Just checking to see how wide spread this problem is.

hercontime

@af.mil
We had the HF installed last month and are experienceing this problem. We switched from a hotspot. The largest month we experienced with the hotspot was 13GB. Immediately, from day one, the HF reports we tripled out data. The only way to keep it from hemorrhaging data is to turn the router off. Verizon told me yesterday they were aware this was an issue and they pushed an uodate last month that fixed it. They reported to me there is no longer an issue with HF leaking data. That is untrue. My device was installed last month and it is happening to us as we sepak.

LTE4LIFE

yeah.. they're full of it if they say that problem is fixed. I can turn off or put to sleep all my devices that use my HF connection and I can see the Green 4G/LTE indicator constantly flashing, which means to me it's sending data..

It was the same thing when I had Excede from Viasat and as well with Hughesnet G4.

They're using a constant data stream to keep the connection up. If they don't the connection goes idle and drops.. At least that's the way I'm understanding it...

rb5505

join:2013-02-06
Stoughton, WI
reply to K_e_v_i_n
we live in the woods too. this was a prior post of mine on the subject.....

in was a very easy decision for us. when i checked on line for reviews of the home fusion, it was much more bad then good. i found the opposite with millenicom. we preferred no contract instead of 2 yr. we didn't want to install something on our roof and instead have a small portable device that velcro's to the external hard drive. a 20gb limit hotspot plan with verizon is $130/mo including that $20/mo charge they have. the device is $99 w/millenicom w/o contract, $249 w/verizon w/o contract. it's also very sellable on ebay if/when we stop the service. there was only one thing verizon had in favor of millenicom....a 14 day trial. millenicom is 48 hrs. i did several on line chat's with millenicom too. all of my questions and concerns were answered every time. the 48 hr trial wasn't an issue for us. it worked from day one. however if an antenna was needed, millenicom would extend the trial period giving us time to order the antenna and see if that help get us the signal.

»millenicom.com/plans/#hotspot-pl ··· pot-plan

rick t

@bellsouth.net
reply to K_e_v_i_n
Kevin.
I am a fusion installer.Heres the fact. verizon pays the installer for a " standard" installation. This includes the shortest route to the equipment, and a penetrating hole to the equipment. the installer ( I ) am willing to do any means the customer wants as long as you realize the customer must pay for extra services. It sounds simple just run it between walls and come out a hole. Its called a " wall fish" , it takes skills to keep from drilling a hole in the wrong place, you have got to line up your correct top plate with the correct wall studs and then be able to retrive it especially on a wall with insulation, i have special tools that help. the average charge is 75 to 125 depending on difficulty. it is time consuming and really chancy of making damage

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to K_e_v_i_n
Took nearly two weeks to get a tech here, but the problem was indeed the cantenna. It died after barely three months online. First installer was apparently a cowboy, using materials and technique that were subsequently identified as inconsistent with Verizon standards. Said issues ostensibly led to the early demise of the cantenna. Except for the original modem/router and one cable segment (grounding block to power inserter), absolutely everything else he did was torn out and replaced with new. Initial installer was here and gone in maybe 30 minutes, repair installer was here a good three hours. Systems now back up and running even better than ever before.

//greg//
--
Former DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet customer and forum participant since 2001