spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Automate
join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

Automate

Drilling 5/8" hole in granite

I need to drill a 5/8" hole in a very expensive piece of granite counter-top. Should I drill a smaller, say 1/4", hole first?
Any drill bit recommendations or techniques would be appreciated.
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

LocutusBorg

Premium Member

»www.google.com/webhp?sou ··· &bih=794
Automate
Atlanta, GA

1 edit

Automate

Yes, I watched some of the top videos from Google but they show larger holes around 1" plus using a hollow hole drill bit. I'm thinking for 5/8" I should use a solid bit. That's what the directions that came with the faucet say to do.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Automate

Premium Member

to Automate

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 7OL42PxU
Automate
Atlanta, GA

Automate

I don't see that either of the big box hardware stores carry 5/8" diamond core drills.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to Automate

Premium Member

to Automate
Any chance the piece can be carried to a professional shop where they have the equipment?
Automate
Atlanta, GA

Automate

No, it is 12 ft long and completely installed. Removing and moving it would be even more risky.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Automate

Premium Member

to Automate
I would be VERY afraid a solid bit would severely chip the edges of the 5/8" hole and possibly crack out a large piece.

Since you say material is expensive, and there do not seem to be any "hole saw" style diamond drills around, would it be worth it to get a pro in to pop the hole?
Automate
Atlanta, GA

Automate

I have considered that but I'm the type that likes to DIY.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

said by Automate:

I have considered that but I'm the type that likes to DIY.

I like DIY also. Some times we need to realize the risk/reward just is not there to go the DIY route.

You could have someone pop the hole, (and tell your self you had purchased the top with the hold already there, (:>)), and you could do the finish work.

If you could find a 5/8" core drill, then it would be a new ball game, right?
pende_tim

pende_tim to Automate

Premium Member

to Automate
Here you go.. »www.amazon.com/16mm-Diam ··· re+drill

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Automate

Mod

to Automate
You should be able to buy the proper coring bit from one of the granite places in your area or you can order one from Amazon. This is pretty cheap for this type of bit but it should drill a few holes.

»www.amazon.com/16mm-Diam ··· 04UGJSWG

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to Automate

Mod

to Automate
While it's not granite, I used something just like this to drill the holes in my master bathroom floor.

»hostedmedia.reimanpub.co ··· A_19.jpg

Thought I bought it off the shelf at Home Depot but can't remember.

Here are a few pics of how the holes looked:
»www.dennisjudd.com/?p=1910

The nice thing about the one I showed is the water cup kept the blade from overheating.

shdesigns