All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Champ
@comcast.net

Champ

Anon

Recommendations on a high quality wirless router?

I currently have a Cisco/Linksys e1000, which was provided to me from AT&T a few years ago. It's a big hunk of s*** and the wireless performance is just bad and I've had enough of this thing. I've tried changing channels, disabling QoS and other small tweaks, but it just doesn't seem to matter. I'm getting like 1-3mbps sustained transferring on the LAN on multiple different wireless devices no matter what I do. When I'm wired, it works fine and I get my advertised speeds out to the Internet just fine. So I'm heading out to the store today to look for a higher quality replacement.

Looking for something thats high quality, great wireless performance, has 4 x 10/1000 ports and between $100-150 bucks. Does anyone have and good, solid recommendations? I don't want another exxxxx series, I'm done with those and linksys/cisco.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Look at the choices here:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

1 recommendation

Sr Tech

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

Look at the choices here:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view

2nd smallnetbuilder for review's, only thing is that some of the older pro/con review's were never updated after firmware fixes from vendors. It's not a knock against them as they still provide great write up's, but when I look for something I always try to look at the vendors website for upgrade logs in what the fixes were as part of my decision.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd

Premium Member

I agree, and I always update the firmware on any router I install. Either the latest OEM or third party firmware.

The charts are nice in that they show relative price/performance comparisons.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

John97 to Champ

Premium Member

to Champ
I agree with the others. The reviews on smallnetbuilder.com are great.

I spent a bit of time there myself before purchasing my Asus RT-AC66U a few weeks ago. After upgrading the firmware to the latest after I set it up, it has been an outstanding performer.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav to Champ

Premium Member

to Champ
Netgear makes two good models from what ive read the the Netgear WNDR4500 and the R6300. The asus models from n56u upwards seem very decent.

You have to decide if your aiming for stock firmware or third party firmware in your deliberations, which comes down to understanding your requirements and your desires and matching them up.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Champ

MVM

to Champ
+1 Smallnetbuilder. Once you get a sense of the device, then you can start picking and choosing what meets the remainder of your criteria

Regards

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Anav

MVM

to Anav
said by Anav:

Netgear makes two good models from what ive read the the Netgear WNDR4500 and the R6300. The asus models from n56u upwards seem very decent.

+1 for the Netgear WNDR4500 and the Netgear R6300.

If you get one of these make sure that you have the latest firmware loaded. And Keep in mind that POSITIONING the device is a very important step for excellent wireless performance. The 2 key steps for positioning is:

1: central within your dwelling
2: as high up as possible [closer to the ceiling]

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Assuming your central meant both vert/horiz as well as horizontally?
(ie not in the apex of the roof in the attic )

Champ
@comcast.net

Champ to Champ

Anon

to Champ
Well, I went ahead purchased a Asus RT-N66U and I'm running Merlin's Firmware and this thing kicks ass! Had some issues with the wireless on the stock firmware, but his firmware cleared that up and he's added a ton of really useful features and functionality to it and I'm very pleased. Getting full speeds on all my devices now and everything is super fast on my network now. Quite the upgrade from my previous router, that's for sure.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and the link. I was able to determine what I wanted and find his custom firmware through the forums on that site as well. Appreciate it!

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Champ

Premium Member

to Champ
Glad it worked our for you.
51849693 (banned)
join:2013-02-21

51849693 (banned) to Champ

to Champ
ASUS RT-N56U
ASUS RT-N66U
ASUS RT-AC66U
I highly recommend ASUS RT-AC66U, if you can stretch your budget to $200, get this one

51849693 (banned) to Champ

to Champ
have a look »www.wirelessrouterhome.c ··· -review/

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

1 edit

TheTechGuru to Champ

to Champ
If there is tons of interference in your area nothing is going to help other than changing to a different band or using wired.

I use this $60 Gigabit + 2T2R Wireless 802.11n router:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -704-038

and here are the speeds I get through it about 25ft and 2 walls away and about 10 other AP's from neighbors littering the air:

»img.txnj.net/Comparison_ ··· eeds.png

I've been thinking about upgrading the antennas on it to these:

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2