Sperkowitz
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Canyon Country, CA

2 edits

Decisions

My current hardware specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13128376)
RAM: 6 GB DDR2 6400
Graphics: Geforce GTX 570
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W (»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139004)
Two standard hard drives at 7200 RPM
Current case is an Antec 900 that does not support USB 3.0 on the front panel.
And some other misc. hardware that's not that important.

I've had this system for over two years now, and I have recently been obsessing on upgrading. I do multiple things such as watching Blu-Ray, internet video streaming, and gaming. Gaming is important, but I'm fine running at 1920x1080 on a single monitor (I really don't want to upgrade my monitor anyway).

Where would I benefit the most? An Intel i5 5730 and motherboard (»www.frys.com/product/7410075?sit···e:030113) and 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and a SSD? Or upgrading the graphics card (GTX 670)? I'll also be buying a new case that supports USB 3.0 on the panel. Or would be minimal either way and not worth the time and money? My games are running fine, but I wouldn't mind being prepared for some of the newer games coming out in the next year or two.

Edit: If it is worth it to get a new CPU/motherboard and ram, I will eventually get a newer video card...I just like to spread out my spending :P

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2

An SSD would give you the best performance improvement for the least amount of cash and hassle.

DDK65JAG

join:2009-06-09
Cambridge, MD
reply to Sperkowitz

You mentioned USB3 twice & indicated you're buying a case with USB3 on the front panel. Your mobo doesn't support USB3, so you would need to get a USB3 controller card at the very least. Seems to me the major upgrade is the best bet,
get a current board this time, if you like AMD a FM2 socket
board, A75 or A85 series paired with a Trinity processor.

Good luck, DDK

Sperkowitz
Premium
Canyon Country, CA
reply to Sperkowitz

Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware that my mobo doesn't support USB3, I was only mentioning that if I do upgrade my motherboard that I will also purchase a new case to support if someone noticed.

Cash is not really an issue with my decision (but still do not want to spend the money if it's not worth it, I'm frugal), I was curious if upgrading from what I have to a i5 5730 and SSD would be worthwhile over what I currently have. My only issue with only getting a SSD, is that my mobo does not support SATA 6. I will not fully benefit from only a SSD until I do upgrade the motherboard.

I've been pretty faithful to AMD for some years, mostly due to price. But cost is not a huge factor now (but I'm not spending blindly) and I've heard that the Intel chips have been proven very good for gaming.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

said by Sperkowitz:

My only issue with only getting a SSD, is that my mobo does not support SATA 6. I will not fully benefit from only a SSD until I do upgrade the motherboard.

Don't worry about that, any SATA speed will show a benefit from an SSD. The big benefit with SSDs is random read/write performance (usually listed as IOPS). I put an SSD in my older laptop that only has a 1.5 Gbps SATA port. It's 40-50x faster in random performance over the 7200 RPM drive it replaced, and it's not a high-end SSD.

If everything is running fine now, I'd wait until performance is an issue with newer games. By then, newer CPUs and video cards will be out, and current stuff should be cheaper as well.
--
KI6RIT

Sperkowitz
Premium
Canyon Country, CA

Didn't realize how much of a boost I could get. The price is pretty decent for a 128 GB SSD, but nowhere near the size of what I usually have installed. Would I still see a noticeable improvement if I used the SSD for just the OS, and kept everything else on my standard drives (i.e. games; the largest space eater)?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Putting games on the ssd will reduce their loading time. The point of an ssd is loading times, it doesn't really increase performance, but if a game has a delay to loading like some games do it will reduce that. For most games this is not an issue, but for dynamically loaded games it will help.

Honestly I don't think you need an upgrade at all at this point if everything runs fine, an ssd is nice to have however.

I wouldn't part out a system too much, I like to have more than one system these days, even have my old gaming system on a hdtv with a wireless keyboard an mouse now for stuff like movies. If you were to upgrade I would build an entirely new system as that is still quite useful, otherwise wait, put the money in savings, work on your 401k.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Sperkowitz

A new mobo and faster ram would probably help more than the SSD, IMO.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Sperkowitz

I OC my 955 from 3.2 to 3.6 (liquid cooled) though you can OC to 3.8-4.0 stable. I also upgraded to a ssd and it brought life back to my rig. Im riding this rig to the very end.
--
»mc-buildville.enjin.com/