Search similar:

uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

using google sharing in Firefox

Trying to figure out the FF Google Sharing setting options.

Does "Google Sharing enabled" mean that the app is enabled and that Google tracking is therefore disabled?

OR

Does "Google Sharing disabled" mean that google tracking is being disabled by the FF add on?

Bottom line is which way do we set the Google Sharing addon to block Google from tracking us when using Firefox?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Are you referring to the status indicator?
If so, Google Sharing Enabled (Green colored) means it's blocking Google tracking, as opposed to disabled (Red Color).

It does disable itself and gives a pop up warning when this happens on some sites. It does seem to be a bit flaky though, in my opinion.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Yes, sometimes it is enabled when FF starts, other times it is disabled.

It always is disabled for me here on Google.com and related Google sites.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Like I said, it appears this plugin is flaky. If you go to the "makers" web site and read some of the reviews you'll see what others have to say about it. Also, it appears that they have stopped working on this plugin and are now pushing a different one.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

said by aguen:

Also, it appears that they have stopped working on this plugin and are now pushing a different one.

Do some reading: »Re: [FireFox] What 7 addons do you think are essential?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Not only do I highly recommend the GoogleSharing add-on but I suggest using

»encrypted.google.com

and not the unencrypted (clear text)

»www.google.com

and ticking the SSL option in GoogleSharing.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

said by aguen:

Also, it appears that they have stopped working on this plugin and are now pushing a different one.

Do some reading: »Re: [FireFox] What 7 addons do you think are essential?

Yes BUT that "TBD" is what concerns me. Too often that has turned into an eternity.

Also doesn't change the fact that it is still quite buggy when in use.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Good recommendations, Stuart.

Just changed my google bookmark in FF to "encrypted google".

Checked Google Sharing to be sure that the SSL option is checked. It is.

Interesting thing about google sharing. As of yesterday, the Google Sharing add-on for Firefox starting staying "enabled" even when visiting Google.

Prior to yesterday, for about the last two weeks or so, Google Sharing was being automatically "disabled" whenever visiting Google.

Don't know what caused that or what corrected that, but glad to see that Google Sharing is back on the job 24/7 even on Google.com.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
The only problem I have with Google Sharing is that it sometimes says that the proxy/proxies are unreachable. That has happened a bit lately. However that has been self-curing after a short period.

In the past the proxy/proxies have been "unreachable" for days but I've found restarting FF fixed this.

I have not had any issues with the GS icon being the wrong color (red/green).
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Where do you see the Google Sharing Icon?

All I have is the words "Google Sharing enabled" or "Google Sharing disabled".

Is that what you mean by an "icon"?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Gem:

Where do you see the Google Sharing Icon?

The GS status is at the bottom right of the FF window. If you right click on that you get the choice of "Long Status" (the text you see) or "Short Status" (red/green "GS"). My old eyes see the "GS", due to its size, as an icon.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Ah, thank you.

With my limited color vision I better keep the long status. Red and green look too much the same for me on this monitor.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Google Sharing was out for almost a week. Just started working again yesterday for me. That was the first outage in a long while for me. Restarting Fx has never had any effect for me in getting Google Sharing working again.

I wish Abine would fix it so that right click context menu and you choose Google search would use Google Sharing.

Abine told me on Feb 28 that they are NOT abandoning Google Sharing. They said it is just proving to take a great deal of time to transition it to a new platform.