spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pghpooh

join:2003-03-05

Constant Guard? Norton??

HI I am running Norton software on my pc's now. The yearly coverage is about to expire.
If I switch to Constant Guard,,, will I gain anything or loose anything? Granted Constant Guard is free, but.... There is always a catch with "FREE".
What are your thoughts? Should I upgrade Norton or dump Norton and go to Constant Guard?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I migrated from my own Norton subscription to the Comcast version two years ago as my subscription was expiring. The software is a little different, but basically the same. There is usually a delay in releasing the Firefox version of Norton Toolbar, but that's the only disadvantage I've seen. You don't need to get the entire CostantGuard suite. Many people have had problems with CG, so I just took the Norton stuff.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
Ditto on just using Norton. No need for Constant Guard. I tested it when it was first available out of curiosity & didn't like its big brother war lord approach with ever activity. Annoying beyond belief!

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
I agree with with johkal. Just use Norton and leave the CG alone.
Here is a link to Norton only on the Comcast sit.

»xfinity.comcast.net/constantguar···T_33_641

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by Wayne99021:

I agree with with johkal. Just use Norton and leave the CG alone.
Here is a link to Norton only on the Comcast sit.

»xfinity.comcast.net/constantguar···T_33_641

I agree just use Norton..

note:
Make sure to remove your old Norton before installing Comcast's version..
Also when you go to that link....Click "no thanks" to Constant Guard and just download Norton.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
Thanks Mustang50. I forgot about the "no thanks" to CG and also downloading and running the Norton removal tool to get rid of all the old Norton before installing the new Comcast version of Norton

pghpooh

reply to pghpooh
HI
Thanks for the info!
When the Norton subscription runs out I'll jump over to the "Free" Norton offered by Comcast. The "Free" version looks to be the same as the Norton 360.
Thanks

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
It is not 100% identical to Norton 360. I think the main difference is in Identity Safe. The Comcast version still allows for local storage of your passwords (a very good thing, IMO). The Norton version forces you to use cloud storage unless you had local storage originally. I suppose there could be other differences. In any event, the product is different enough so that it needs its own updates as new features or feature updates are released. Definition updates are not affected.

pghpooh

owlyn,,,
Thanks for the info.
Once I get the Comcast Version of Norton I'll do some looking around to get info on updates, etc.
As for using cloud storage, etc.,,,, I have about 11 tb of hard drive storage capacity and what I feel is extremely imoortant I back up to a drive and then back uo to disks and store in another location. 20 years of home finances and thousands of songs, grandkids pictures, etc are backed up mutiple times. Hard drives are cheap when compared to the agony of loosing info and having to replace it.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
The updates do come automatically, it's just that some are later than for the other Norton products. The cloud storage is for the password vault. I do use cloud storage for backups, but not for the vault.

You do get 2GB of free cloud storage for files. You can pay $49/year for 50 GB through Comcast, which uses Mozy.