spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

flyzilla

join:2013-01-02

Does the SSL VPN Web Server Application work?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I've been trying to get the SSL VPN "Web Server" Application ("reverse proxy") to work, without success so far. All the web sites I've tried only load partially or not at all. See attachments for examples (pictures missing, layout wrong etc). My question is, does this actually work for some people or is my configuration wrong?

superataru

join:2004-12-07
Kearny, NJ

Hi.
Maybe you better use "Weblink" for external sites.
SSL, in my opinion, is intended for Web Sites behind USG.
Also are not fully supported codes/scripts in the pages (CGI and so on).

flyzilla

Thanks for the reply.

I have actually tried to use internal sites as well: a NAS login page (like this site, »demo.qnap.com:8080) and a site that asks credentials with HTTP authentication. The first one only opens a black page and HTTP auth produces an error message "The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server".

It may very well be that the proxy doesn't support a bunch of tech like CGI (although the external sites I tried shouldn't have anything special in them). Do you know if this is documented anywhere?

superataru

join:2004-12-07
Kearny, NJ

Sorry for delay.
I confirm : scritps not supported (docs? dunno where).
It works with full-tunnel + weblink. Just set firewall and ContentFiltering SSL-to-X

flyzilla

Thanks for checking. Full tunnel doesn't really make me cheer since it requires admin rights. As it is, the Web Server function is close to useless at least for me. Oh well, at least I'll know what to look out for when buying next time.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to flyzilla

What is it exactly your trying to accomplish from a user perspective as I dont quite understand it from a router solution attempt perspective???

flyzilla

I would like to be able to log on to the SSL VPN and access intranet sites/services without needing admin rights on the machine that I'm using.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

I thought the purpose of sslvpn was just that. A remote user can log in to the network via the router and the settings for the SSLVPN dictated what the remote user had access to???

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

Previously I've done only limited SSL VPN testing as I never had need for it but this thread prompted me to do some additional tests.

Unless I'm missing something major, the SSL VPN is not really good.

1) In tunnel mode you need admin rights to install the client.
2) In reverse proxy mode you need to run the java applet which seems to do very little ... nothing I've tested seemed to work properly ... pretty much the same conclusions and in the above posts.

flyzilla

reply to Anav

That's what I thought as well, but as stated, it's not working.

Brano, thanks for confirming.