Flush the cookie cache

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to cme032

The cookies issue as described in the thread you are linking to can only be a threat to privacy, it has nothing to do with security.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cme032

after reading the thread at mozillazine, and related info at "bugzilla", and more about FF's "private browsing", i think the problem is a bug in FF 19's "private browsing" where it is saving cookies when they shouldn't be being saved.. apparently the cookies are only saved for as long as the FF-browser is kept open..

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I just read the thread. I think there probably is a bug. But I think the bigger problem is that Fx appears to exit immediately upon closing. But that is false...always (at least on XP, Vista, Win 8). It takes anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes for Fx to exit fully. Sometime ago, because of this in every version Fx that I have used (now on 17.0.3 ESR), I ALWAYS open Task Manager and check to see if Fx has actually exited. I think the folks in the thread were experiencing this slow exit of Fx where it appears to exit immediately...but doesn't.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

Are they (do they have to) restart their browser after closing Private Browsing, or does FF 19 offer Private Browsing per Tab?

If the former, then you would not be able to restart (the same Profile) until FF has completely exited from memory, regardless of how long it takes. (You would get a "browser in use" message.)

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to cme032

Google Chrome has a feature to turn off the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed". If you don't and you monitor your PC's external connections or the task manager you will see that you always have connection.
»techdows.com/2012/01/google-chro···hem.html

Background pages and background apps
Many extensions and web apps use background pages in order to carry out their functions. The background page is invisible to you, but it’s constantly working in the background, for example checking your mail so it can let you know when you have new messages.
»support.google.com/chrome/bin/an···=1184722

I don't know if Firefox can be manage the same way..but I do recall that third party apps they have can exhibit the same background running when it is closed.
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/817014

So it is not just a matter of 30 secs or so for it all to really close out in some cases.
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/817014

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to redwolfe_98

said by redwolfe_98:

after reading the thread at mozillazine, and related info at "bugzilla", and more about FF's "private browsing", i think the problem is a bug in FF 19's "private browsing" where it is saving cookies when they shouldn't be being saved.

That's the way I read it also with my limited understanding. And that the retained cookies are no visible to the user.
--
here comes leadership

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Name Game

There is a Suspend background tabs extension. (I ran into, seemingly, a compatibility issue with it, on SeaMonkey, so stopped using it.)

Not releasing (hanging) from memory is different from "taking a while" to exit from memory. The way Mozilla closes now is to first remove the UI, then it continues its shutdown in the background. During that time, your Profile remains locked. Once finished shutting down, the lock is remove & you can reopen the Profile. Depending on how much memory your have racked up, what plugins, ... may have been open, can affect how long it takes it takes to release from memory. As it stands right now, I'm using 1.5 GB of RAM, & unless I outright kill (seamonkey.exe), it is going to take a bit of time before everything unloads (though thinking in any case it will be 30 sec).

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to cme032

I've always used this option:

'Custom Settings', 'Always use private browsing mode

along with CS Lite .............it only keeps the cookies I choose.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to cme032

quote:
Yes, there is currently no way to modify/view private cookies (ie. all cookies in private browsing mode in FF 19, or cookies for private windows in FF 20+). Your only option is to reopen private browsing mode to clear the accumulated cookies.
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/951688
--
here comes leadership

cme032

@optonline.net
reply to therube

i did flush all data, received same browser in usage message...yet restarted the os...

same happened. used memtest...issues magically gone...

however i did not complete the memtest...only used it for 1 hour and 30 mins....

mysteries.....

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

Download this add-on STIG from the Forge.mil site
»forge.mil/Resources-Firefox.html

dod_configuration

Install it, and under options, click on APPLY STIGs. Then it should be secure enough. I dont think its the FULL version STIG though, but a nice free Add-ON to have for FF. I have this too, and it does warn you that it might "break" things, but so far everything works smoothly.

The site is also maintained by DISA.