how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TWCUSER

join:2013-02-23
Waxhaw, NC

[TWC] Issues with Moto SB6141

I am in Union County near Charlotte and have had a recent spate of problems with TW Internet service being down or very slow. I switched to a Motorola SB6141 modem on November 19th last year when TW started charging the monthly rental fee. I also changed to their Turbo tier of Internet service. Had the usual problems waiting in the phone queue for hours to get the MAC Address changed. All was going pretty well until about 5 days ago, then things started going down hill. The service was up and down; Ookla Speed Test couldn't find a server, PING times went up to about 700 ms, etc. After spending hours on the phone with their help desk in the Philippines again, TW sent a tech out. He fiddled with the cable connections and restructured some of the coax to the modem and changed several fittings/couplings outside. He said that should improve things. He also called their tech desk to ensure DOCSIS 3.0 was enabled. The person on the other said it didn't matter anymore since they were allowing 3rd party modems.
Long story short- yesterday afternoon, after yet another outage and tedious teleconference with the Philippines one last time, I drove to the TW Store near me and picked up one of their modems. It was a used Ubee modem (the power cable was new). I brought it home, installed it, and Presto Magico!, it mysteriously solved the issue. Now seeing DL speeds not seen here before and it's consistently fast and apparently rock solid.
Could it be that TW is targeting users that have switched to 3rd Party modems in order to drive them back in the fold? Interesting how this began 90 days after switching to the Motorola SB6141 and denying their revenue stream of $3.95 per month.....
It's a tragedy that a company like TW could get a lock on a large metro area like Charlotte since there is no realistic alternative here => the DSL service is worse than Time Warner's broadband service.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

"Could it be that TW is targeting users that have switched to 3rd Party modems in order to drive them back in the fold? Interesting how this began 90 days after switching to the Motorola SB6141 and denying their revenue stream of $3.95 per month....."

This is a ridiculous suggestion. The cost of the extra calls, truck rolls and swaps etc would far outweigh the modem lease fee.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dmhowell

join:2005-09-29
Hulls Cove, ME

1 edit
reply to TWCUSER

There is a lot of chatter about the SB6141 having firmware issues such as: »Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?
Did you check the Motorola modem status page to see if your modem power levels were ok and whether TWC had upgraded (or downgraded) your firmware prior to your network issues?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
reply to TWCUSER

My 6141 is flawless, thank you.There was a reboot from TW to upgarde me from 21/1 to 30/5. Otherwise total uptime since I got it.

bshampine

join:2010-04-08
Gouverneur, NY

I have the motorola sb6121 and was having problems only with the 30/5 extreme internet so i called and told them to lower me to basic 3/1 since I wasnt getting the speeds I was suppose to be and every since my connection is rock solid. When I had the 30/5 my wife couldnt be on the internet (facebook) while I was on xbox live. Now since ive lowered to basic its rock solid. Id call and try it out and let me know. Also do you have any blue lights lit up on the modem? If so, that means you have channels bonded. Also im not sure but I think when you go back to basic you go back to docsis 2 instead of 3 but do not quote me. Thanks