MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Stacy

MVM

to Stacy

Re: [rant]I'm starting to really hate iOS keyboard

said by Stacy:

My son suggested all keyboards should have a .com key. It would sure make browsing the Internet a little bit easier and faster.

On Android, some keyboards do have that (as well as a "@" key). They only become visible under certain circumstances though, such as filling in an email address field. Even then, it doesn't always turn on.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

said by Hall:

On Android, some keyboards do have that (as well as a "@" key). They only become visible under certain circumstances though, such as filling in an email address field. Even then, it doesn't always turn on.

My son was talking about physical keyboards.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

banditws6

Premium Member

said by Stacy:

said by Hall:

My son was talking about physical keyboards.

I don't think they really need a .com key, so long as you are aware of the existing keyboard shortcuts in the major browsers.

In current versions of IE, Firefox and Chrome, if you type the domain name into the URL bar and then press Control+Enter, the browser will prepend "www.", append ".com" and immediately go to the site. For instance, you just type "dslreports" and hit Control+Enter, and you immediately go to www.dslreports.com. I use this all the time.

In Firefox, you can also do Shift+Enter to append ".net" instead of ".com", or Control+Shift+Enter to append ".org".

Edit: Sorry for the PC-speak with my mention of the Control key. Not sure what the equivalent is on the Mac but I assume this function is present in OSX Safari as well.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

On chrome for android you can just type the url and it will suggest .com/.net whatever is the first result on google search.

Also, the keyboard i use (swiftkey) has the ability to swipe up and select gmail.com/hotmail.com on the @ symbol. Probably my 2nd most used feature after flow (swyping to type).

Wonder why OP prefers the ecosystem that locks things down while demanding the opposite.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

Wonder why OP prefers the ecosystem that locks things down while demanding the opposite.

He might already be trapped in the ecosystem and, despite having realized that there may be things he'd like to try on a different mobile platform, leaving that whole ecosystem behind would cause serious inconvenience.

Hell, even though my iPhone is the only Apple device I personally use, losing access to iMessage with all the people I know with iPhones (my wife most importantly; she is a 100% Apple convert) would be a real pain in my ass as I will not pay the highway robbery charges for text plans. And no, I cannot expect most of these people to start using Google Voice to text me should I decide to switch to another mobile OS, so that's out.

Combine that with the hassle of having to find replacements for my existing workflow and app usage patterns on some other mobile OS, and my answer is "why bother." I suspect for others it is a similar situation. When it comes to my workstations, I care enough to bother. My phone just needs to work when I pick it up and go away when I put it down, that's it.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to banditws6

MVM

to banditws6
said by banditws6:

Edit: Sorry for the PC-speak with my mention of the Control key. Not sure what the equivalent is on the Mac but I assume this function is present in OSX Safari as well.

In case you're not aware, "iOS", as noted in the subject, refers to the operating system for Apple's iPhone / iPod / iPad lines.