uniqs
share rss forum feed

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2

Where do these go on tool chest drawer slides?

Hey --

My new Craftsman rolling tool cabinet has two drawers that are off-track and I can't get the slides to go back in and stay there.

Can anyone tell me what these are and where they go on the slides, and would these being missing cause inside part of the slides not to stay in the outside part?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
Click for full size
They will fit in the rails in the cabinet. Then the drawers slide over them.

There are often tabs in the rails that keep the drawer from pulling all the way out:

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
Are there some sort of notches or slots that these rubber gasket-things are supposed to go in?

Do they normally come out when the drawers are removed?

Anybody know what they are called?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
Rubber gasket things? Aren't they made of steel and have a ball bearing in each end? They are called part of the drawer slide -- part #6. They could come out if you don't know what you are doing when taking a drawer out of the cabinet.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
I think this chest got some rough shipping treatment. All 4 of those rubber strips were loose in the cabinet when it arrived.

If anyone knows what they are called, I can just search on how to put them back in correctly.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
Examine the drawer slides very carefully. You should be able to figure out where they go. Basically they go in the drawer slides -- as I recall between the other two parts.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
reply to Johnny
Used to be that Sears would replace the entire unit in an instance like this. Our fridge had a slight flaw that I could easily have fixed via a new handle and one minute of labor, but Sears insisted upon replacing the entire refrigerator at 100% their expense. They delivered and set up new unit, and removed the flawed fridge. Tool chest may be another can of worms with respect to shipping. Since Sears is / was once again gasping for air financially in recent times, not sure they still do this old school style customer service?

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
As luck would have it, this one has already gotten "lost" and took 3 weeks to straighten out that we did not receive it, and they finally sent another one.

I guess it's worth another call, but the "dossier" on this transaction is already so thick that any random outcome could happen.

Do you know what these rubber strips with little metal beads on them are called?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to Johnny
Can you visit a local Sears and take a look at the floor model?

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to Johnny
These slides have 3 parts:

#1 - the part permanently affixed to the outside of the drawer

#2 - an "intermediate" part which easily fits into #1 but falls out when I try to fit it into #3.

#3 - the part permanently affixed to the inside of the cabinet

Getting either the #1-#2 assembly, OR just #2 alone, into #3 is just not working. It falls out.

It appears that one of these rubber strips goes on the "top" edge of the #2 part, and the other goes on the "bottom" of this part. I can see the edge of these strips when I examine the drawers that are working.

But all attempts to stack up these things (the rail, and the two rubber strips) and insert the resulting #2 into #3 have failed. #2 will not stay in the confines of #3 .

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to cdru
Sure. I would see these strips beautifully installed on top and bottom of that #2 piece, sliding back and forth with the drawer.

I should mention that these strips feel a bit greasy as if they are intended to be greasy.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
reply to Johnny
If you received the unit this way, and the installation of these is not covered in the instructions, you may wish to submit a claim for concealed shipping damage.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

reply to Johnny
Not sure how well one of the drawers will slide with that bent rail

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits
reply to Johnny
From the you probably tried this already bleachers:

Is it possible to remove a good working drawer to see how the rubbers are installed? I'm guessing the balls are detents for fully opened and fully closed positions.