Premium
join:2002-07-31
Arlington, TX

Pictures of an old General Instrument amp

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
A neighborhood near where I live has essentially been unoccupied for a while. The other week I took a walk through the area just to see what all was there. Most of the utilities and such were still in place, many of them still powered up for service. Of course, there's no one to actually service at all.

So I noticed there were still some cable components about and happened upon this little gem...a line amp on the ground instead of an aerial install. When I removed the cover it was an old General Instrument Starline amp...Motorola later bought part of their company if anyone is unfamiliar.

So since this line has no one to service I was curious about its inner workings. For anyone who will inevitable get heartburn over seeing this, there's no customer service to disrupt and I didn't fiddle around with anything inside. I just took the pictures for other people who might be interested.
--
The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. -John Adams, 1787

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Just out of curiosity, what happened to the neighborhood that made it become unoccupied? Nice pics, by the way.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
said by Smith6612:

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the neighborhood that made it become unoccupied? Nice pics, by the way.

My thought exactly... I hope it is not something like the love canal catastrophe.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to warlock56
said by warlock56:

So since this line has no one to service I was curious about its inner workings. For anyone who will inevitable get heartburn over seeing this, there's no customer service to disrupt and I didn't fiddle around with anything inside. I just took the pictures for other people who might be interested.

You are lucky nobody saw you opening that box but the hires pictures are worth the risk

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to warlock56
said by warlock56:

A neighborhood near where I live has essentially been unoccupied for a while. The other week I took a walk through the area just to see what all was there. Most of the utilities and such were still in place, many of them still powered up for service. Of course, there's no one to actually service at all.

So I noticed there were still some cable components about and happened upon this little gem...a line amp on the ground instead of an aerial install. When I removed the cover it was an old General Instrument Starline amp...Motorola later bought part of their company if anyone is unfamiliar.

was this near that trailer park near New York Ave and Sublett road in Arlington?

I thought that place might be abandoned.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to etaadmin
True. Love Canal is still an absolute disaster, and they're still having to clean up leakage from that disaster in sewers nearby the dump. Love Canal of course, is not the only dump around this area which have required cleanup due to waste.

warlock56
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Arlington, TX
reply to warlock56
My question is, what is the module starting with SSP that is feeding the tap? I've seen these things in lots of places but don't know what they do.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

2 edits
That particular SSP (Starline System Passive) module is a 12 value directional coupler. I think it's a couple of models behind as it's a K series and the latest are N series. It's also rated for 15 amps pass through current. You can find out more here: »www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Vid···ions.pdf

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by DrDrew:

That particular SSP (Starline System Passive) module is a 12 value directional coupler. I think it's a couple of models behind as it's a K series and the latest are N series. It's also rated for 15 amps pass through current. You can find out more here: »www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Vid···ions.pdf

the S marked in on the amp means that the Amp has a split band of 5-40MHz/52-870MHz. Also it looks like that amp got a drop in upgrade to 870MHz from 750MHz as the housing originally stated as the system was once 750MHz and in 2008 got upgraded to 870MHz.