uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to Thermo1223

Re: [CATV] RCN to Encrypt Basic Cable, Boxes Needed on ALL TVs e

said by Thermo1223:

Yes it was Ave. C and my experience was not as bad as yours, man they really care it seems.

I left out a bit where I kept asking them how it was fair to charge me for something I get for free now. It makes no sense, she just ignored that and get rattling off how every TV needs a box.

Ugh I seriously want to go to SECTV but my wife would kill me for changing again. Maybe I should just give Directv another call. The dish is still sitting on my roof from the last time.

SECTV has TCN and CSN.

Go with Directv but they are still locked out of CSN and TCN.

quattrog

join:2009-03-20
Northampton, PA
reply to quattrog
Ok, just got a call back from the local service center manager. RCN WILL supply an HD box free for one year. Thank You RCN for stepping up to the plate on this one. I think I'll stick around for another year .
I have always said and will say again. RCN is technically a sound company. I cannot complain about their technology or reliability. I may not be happy with their pricing, or "extra" fees. But they have stepped up to the plate and I'm pleased. Thank You!!!

Thermo1223

join:2001-12-20
Allentown, PA
If I have an issue should I just call general customer service or is there a particular person I should talk to? My e-mail has gone unanswered as of now.

quattrog

Northampton, PA
Thermo, I first contacted customer service and spoke to someone there. They were the ones that told me we were to be given our choice of box.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to quattrog
said by quattrog:

Just got back from a very frustrating visit to the local RCN office on Avenue C in Bethlehem PA.

From what I can see, RCN is offering low cost packages in the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia that they do not offer in Boston, NY, DC, and Chicago. They are offering 50 Mbs internet service in NYC for $35 but you must pay a minimum of $80 to get any kind of TV at all.

Lehigh Valley RCN Offer
Digital TV & 50 Mbps High-Speed Internet
TV CHANNELS:38 Channels 21 in HD
INTERNET SPEED: 50 Mbps Package includes 1 HD converter and 1 digital converter, PLUS Docsis cable modem rental. $49.99/mo

So at least be grateful for this option.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

RCN Lehigh Valley

I call RCN whenever I see a new offer being made. They have been generous about giving me services just for calling.
1) Signature Digital Cable TV (70 in High Def)
2) Showtime and The Movie Channel
3) Starz
4) 25 Mbps High-Speed Internet
5) Unlimited Local and Long-Distance Calling
A) Cable Modem
B) Router
C) MoCa Bridge
D) Tivo Quad with 500 Gb disk
E) Satellite Tivo
F) Digital setup box (standard def)
For $122 per month + $15 taxes and $5 fee for wiring insurance

It was $10 cheaper for a full year.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Geto

said by Geto :

Over the weekend, I set up a brand new Samsung TV for my mother in law room.
I was not aware that you could use cable without a box, specially now that is digital. Is it possible that I got lucky with the TV with a built in feature but that this will go away come April 10? Can I still have basic channels (HD?) without paying a monthly fee for a cable box?

The TV is a Samsung ES46UN7500 and I have RCN in Boston.

Short answer is NO.
Longer answer is that the FCC required that all tv's sold in the USA after 2005 be developed to have what is called a QAM tuner that would allow you to receive unencrypted digital signals via a cable. The equivalent tuner for "over the air" (OTA) digital signals is called an ATSC tuner.

When HBO began operating in 1972, and TBS began cable broadcasts in 1976 the Fcc realized that cable companies would be more profitable if they only transmitted a hand selected group of channels. In order to protect the broadcast television stations they passed a regulation that the cable companies had to carry those stations as well as any others. When the technology was developed to cheaply encode all channels, protecting the cable companies against widespread signal theft, the Fcc ordered the cable companies to leave the OTA signals unencrypted.

So prior to April 10, 2013 plugging a cable into some or all of the TV's in a home to get these stations was not "theft of services". But in November 2012 the Fcc regulation was successfully challenged in court, and the cable companies could begin encrypting all channels.

In my humble opinion, RCN should voluntarily leave some channels unencrypted. I would suggest the:
(1) RCN TV
(2) Public Broadcasting Stations
(3) Local independent stations. In the Lehigh Valley that would be:
69.1 720p WFMZ-HD Main WFMZ-TV programming
69.2 480i WFMZ-AW The 69 News AccuWeather Channel
69.3 WFMZ-ME Me-TV
69.4 WFMZ-RT Retro Television Network

39.1 Main WLVT Programming / PBS
39.2 V-me
39.3 Create

60 WBPH-TV

These channels would not be a threat to RCN's business model, and people who want to put small TV's in the kitchen, garage, or bathroom would still be able to watch the news, or old reruns without cluttering the space with setup boxes.
Expand your moderator at work

Thermo1223

join:2001-12-20
Allentown, PA
reply to dworsky

Just want to say I am pleased RCN did the right thing and gave me the box for free, at least for one year. They even went above & beyond and gave me a HD DVR because I think they had no regular HD boxes.

Overall I am a pleased customer and will re-evaluate my plans in 1 year. Maybe by then streaming services & equipment will make me want to cut the cord.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by Thermo1223:

They even went above & beyond and gave me a HD DVR because I think they had no regular HD boxes

They are only required to give one SD converter box for one year and only to those customers who had limited OTA channels only.

So they upgraded you once to High Definition, and upgraded you a second time to include a DVR.

$4.95/mo SD Converter Box
$11.95/mo HD Converter Box
$14.95/mo HD/DVR Converter box

A little courtesy to you now is a good thing, since it will make you a more loyal customer. On the other hand since they upgrading most people to TIVO service, they probably have a lot of the HD/DVR boxes that are getting turned in and not sent out again to new customers.

quattrog

Northampton, PA
reply to Thermo1223
This is exactly the same thing for me. The HD box they gave me is one of the older DVR's. At the time of install, I didn't know it was a dvr. I asked the tech if there were small form factor HD boxes and he said yes. But that they only give them the large ones for intall. If I wanted a smaller box, I'd have to return this one and request the smaller one. But yes, I would guess that there are quite a few of these in stock due to the move to Tivo.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to quattrog
said by quattrog:

Shady, here's the thing. This goes way back. I live in a development. There are deed restrictions from putting up tv antenna, but not satellite dish's. .."

Those restrictions for the tv antenna are unenforceable under the FCC OTARD regulations: »www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece···ces-rule .

The relevant section: What types of restrictions are prohibited?

A: The rule prohibits restrictions that impair a person's ability to install, maintain, or use an antenna covered by the rule.

Go ahead and install it if you want to; it is likely if it went to court- you likely would win.