robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to printscreen

Mod

to printscreen

Re: Supplying water to a refrigerator

I would cut it and solder in a tee with a 1/2" line going to the wall behind the fridge. That is the place for the cutoff and transition to 1/4". Personally I would cut out the union and just solder everything unless there is another reason for it being there.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

I am thinking about doing the thing right there where the union is. No idea why it is there other than a "construction joint" when my father replaced all external tubing from galvanized to copper many moons ago. This union is about 6 inches from where the pipe goes under a short concrete sidewalk at the steps leading to the kitchen door. This is the house where I grew up and I am now the owner.

Since I am not handy with soldering copper pipes I would go with compression fittings. Otherwise I would need to call someone else.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I solder everything except cutoff valves (like under the sink and behind the toilet) and personally would not recommend doing this with just compression fittings. I also would not feel comfortable with compression fittings on the old pipe. It will be hard enough to get it clean for soldering. I want new pipe for compression. Even if you call someone, you can dig and do whatever work needs to be done on the house to get ready for the plumber so all they have to do is install pipe.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen

What would be the concerns with compression fittings on old copper pipe?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Cleaning it enough to get a good seal and also the possibility that the pipe has been bent and isn't perfectly round. I just don't consider it a proper repair. This would be a good time for you to learn to solder pipe. It's not hard to do.