Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

Broadcom BCM5715 ethernet support

I'm thinking of picking up a dual-eth adapter with BCM5715 chipset for my main desktop. Is that supported well in the kernel or do I have to get a proprietary driver?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Check your distributions supported hardware list. Also check the vendor's web site for drivers and/or source code.

An Intel card would be a better choice but likely more expensive. Plenty of used ones out there too, check ebay.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to FiReSTaRT

A quick Google turned up this link:
»cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/TIGON3.html

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by aguen:

A quick Google turned up this link:
»cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/TIGON3.html

Thanks for the link.. It looks like the support is there.. Based on that webpage, I'd have to compile the kernel module separately?

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

No, the tg3 module should be in any recent kernel.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by No_Strings:

No, the tg3 module should be in any recent kernel.

Thanks.. Placed the order.. Also found this page that settled my nerves: »www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor···adapters

quote:
Silicom Labs (Intel & Broadcom chipsets)

»www.silicom-usa.com makes 2, 4, and 6 port Intel pro/1000 and Broadcom tg3 ethernet adapters. These adapters perform equally well to the name-brand Intel boards, but may be slightly cheaper. Silicom's 6-port adapters are the only 6-port ethernet adapters this author has found.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

So, how much cheaper is "slightly cheaper"? Or put another way, how much did you save over the comparable Intel card?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by graysonf:

So, how much cheaper is "slightly cheaper"? Or put another way, how much did you save over the comparable Intel card?

On second look I didn't save anything.. Could have ebayed something for roughly the same price. At the time I thought the difference was between $50 and $150
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Well, like it or not, you're gonna love it.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by graysonf:

Well, like it or not, you're gonna love it.

By the looks of it, what's already in the kernel works well, so I won't be shedding any tears.

I don't expect to be needing any more than 750Mbps (benchmarked performance) on 2 ports before the pricing on 10Gbps adapters comes down
--
—George Bernard Shaw

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

Are you going to use the bond driver to configure the two ports or do you have some other configuration planned?
--
nohup rm -fr /&

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by sempergoofy:

Are you going to use the bond driver to configure the two ports or do you have some other configuration planned?

Currently, I don't have aggregation plans. I just wanna use one port for local network and Internet access and the other one for configuring some networking appliances. Realistically, I would have had the same functionality by just putting in a 10Mbps adapter as my mobo already has a GigE port but I wanna keep that one as a spare.
--
—George Bernard Shaw