share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Low battery cut off circuit

Looking at this circuit here is it the 4v7 Zener and the trimmer that sets what the voltage that causes the Lm741 to go high?

It's the one that shows the relay coil, For that transistor It's not listing what it is so I guess anything is ok? What about a BC547?

Given I'm using a micro relay I doubt I need a diode on the coil?

»homemadecircuitsandschematics.bl···age.html
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Any relay would need a diode unless it is solid state.

The BC547 will do; just about any NPN transistor would work.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Subaru
I don't like that circuit. Yes, it's dropping the load, but it's adding it's own load to an already low battery.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to Subaru
OT - but I'm amazed how long people have held on to the 741, even where it's not meant to be used.

I prefer the Philbrick

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to SmokChsr
said by SmokChsr:

I don't like that circuit. Yes, it's dropping the load, but it's adding it's own load to an already low battery.

But what would be a better option then? The load of the 741 can't be as much as the load that's connected.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to SmokChsr
said by SmokChsr:

I agree. Modern voltage monitor ICs draw only microamps and provide more functionality.

Subaru See Profile you could try this out in the future. You could use a pot at R2 to adjust the on/off voltages. The MOSFET switch needs to handle max LED current but oversize a bit.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by lutful:

said by SmokChsr:

I agree. Modern voltage monitor ICs draw only microamps and provide more functionality.

Subaru See Profile you could try this out in the future. You could use a pot at R2 to adjust the on/off voltages. The MOSFET switch needs to handle max LED current but oversize a bit.

Yeah looking at this data sheet it's more suited for what I need it for I wished I known about it when I placed my order at mouser..

So now R2 how would I really know when it turns on and off at a lower voltage? Would it just be trial and error?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
said by Subaru:

So now R2 how would I really know when it turns on and off at a lower voltage? Would it just be trial and error?

You can calculate them based on the desired off/on voltages for the battery.

R4 = 100K is fine.
R3 = R4 x (Voff - 1.15) / 1.15
R2 = R4 x (Von - Voff) / 1.15

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

But what would be a better option then? The load of the 741 can't be as much as the load that's connected.

It wasn't the 741 as much as the relay and associated electronics. On any battery under 10AH in size it would not take long for the circuit to completely discharge and ruin the battery.

Lutful, posted a much better option.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I see, I looked at the data sheets of both and the one Lutful posted would be better off as far as how much power is needed for operation.

I will be working with 350 mA but I can move all the way up to 1A if needed.

shdesigns