uniqs
share rss forum feed

solo01
Lurking Inc.
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Cleveland, OH

[Verizon] japan

Have a Razer Maxx. Im going to Japan at the end of this month. Can I get a sim card there to have service or should I get International service through Verizon?

Yippz
Premium
join:2005-05-04
Fort Walton Beach, FL
International service through Verizon including roaming and international fees will cost you a fortune.

According to this page from Verizon > »support.verizonwireless.com/clc/···id=50723
you can insert a SIM card into your phone. There should be a way to disable Verizon on your device so you can't accidentally roam or make calls using Verizon while in Japan.

Your other option would be to purchase an inexpensive phone like a Maxwest MX-12 or an IceMobile Quattro (if you don't need Android while in Japan, and only need to talk and text) and toss a Japanese GSM SIM card in the phone when you arrive. The phone will work back in the U.S. as well as any other country you visit in the future.

Here is a list of GSM services in Japan so you can compare their calling plans > »maps.mobileworldlive.com/network···me=Japan

Hope that helps, and enjoy your trip!
--
Yippz.com - Unlocked GSM Multi-SIM Smartphones and Android Mobile Phones

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by Yippz:

According to this page from Verizon »support.verizonwireless.com/clc/···50723you can insert a SIM card into your phone.

I researched this trying to help the OP as well.. the thing that stopped me from posting is that this is a LTE phone... and verizon LTE uses sims.... so the question becomes does japan have any carriers that use the same LTE frequencies that this device can use? It is true that some verizon phones also have GSM sims (world phones)... but this appears to be a LTE not a world phone?

I suspect the best bet would be to pick up a cheap pre-paid when they arrive.

You are correct that the verizon international will be a fortune

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH
reply to solo01
I don't think your phone is a world phone and won't accept GSM sim cards. Better to pick up a burner.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
reply to solo01
said by solo01:

Have a Razer Maxx. Im going to Japan at the end of this month. Can I get a sim card there to have service or should I get International service through Verizon?

Your razor max is an lte phone im pretty sure. If im correct, the sim slot is already unlocked, pop a japanese sim in and enjoy

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

reply to solo01
First of all, Japan has 3 major national mobile carriers: NTT DoCoMo, Softbank Mobile, and KDDI. The first 2 each run a UMTS network, on band I/1900 + 2100 MHz. KDDI (branded 'au') has a CDMA2000 network. Most T-Mobile USA and AT&T 3G phones, and some Verizon world phones can work on the 2 UMTS networks, while Sprint and Verizon CDMA phones work on KDDI's network. SoftBank and DoCoMo have LTE networks, but the frequencies are incompatible with North American networks', and by extension, N Am handsets (multiband LTE handsets are almost non-existent).

All Japanese carriers use SIM cards, but none sells prepaid SIM cards. If you are visiting Japan, you can rent a SIM from SoftBank or DoCoMo. Except for the free incoming calls, the rates are not particularly attractive compared to roaming charges. And I would say the hassle is definitely not worth it unless you plan to use your phone a lot.

It looks like there are different versions of the RAZR MAXX:

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Motorola RAZR maxx Ve

The first one supports LTE, UMTS, GSM and CDMA2000. The second one supports LTE and CDMA2000. The last one only supports CDMA2000. Verizon Wireless has roaming agreements with all 3 major Japanese carriers, but only the HD model supports UMTS which is required for operation on DoCoMo and SoftBank. However, all 3 models can be used on KDDI's network.

Here's some info on roaming for Verizon Wireless users:

ALERT: For those traveling to Japan {International roaming}/CDMA-KDDI roaming.

It's exactly 2 years old, but should still be relevant.

solo01
Lurking Inc.
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Cleveland, OH
reply to solo01
Thanks for the replys everyone. When we get there we will decide what to do. I'm leaving good Friday and will be back mid April. And give you an update. Thanks again