spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jhough19
join:2006-05-30
Dallas, TX

jhough19

Opening Ports....

I've got several computers plus a security DVR that I'm needing access to on my FiOS network. I'd like to use my D-Link DIR-655 router as my primary router, but I can't seem to get the ports open on it. I've spoken with Verizon about it, but they say it's not on their network. Can anyone help me get this setup so I can access everything on my network? Oh, and by the way, I do have cable and know that the ActionTec has to either have Ethernet or Coax access. Thanks.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

I'm confused by your post. Is your WAN connection ethernet?

VZ won't help you with the DIR-655. It's not their router.
If you're having trouble opening ports on the DIR-655, you probably should try D-Link support.

All the possible router configurations are listed in the following FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
If you want the DIR-655 as primary, you will want option #6 or option #7.
jhough19
Dallas, TX

jhough19

First off, yes, my WAN connection is Ethernet and second, I do know Verizon doesn't support my router. I just didn't know if anyone had a setup like mine where they got their ports open since I can't. My WHOLE network is ran off my D-Link router with the ActionTec getting an IP from the D-Link for the HD set top box.

I'll take any and all help. Thanks.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

Do your rules look like this?

»www.pcwintech.com/node/612
jhough19
Dallas, TX

jhough19

I did all of that and I still can't get it to work. Like I said, I've got a DVR and I did try one thing.... I took my incoming connection, used the IP addresses given by Verizons' network and put those in my DVR and was able to access it, but then when I use my router I can't get it forwarded or to work. The same thing for the router that Verizon provided..... ActionTec MI424WR Rev. F.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

maybe its just you, do you know if your router supports reverse NAT?

»www.pcwintech.com/test-f ··· erse-nat
jhough19
Dallas, TX

jhough19

Since it's so late now, I'll try that tomorrow and report back. But how would this have anything to do with it since I can see it locally, but can't see it outside my network?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to jhough19

MVM

to jhough19
said by jhough19:

My WHOLE network is ran off my D-Link router with the ActionTec getting an IP from the D-Link for the HD set top box.

If the Actiontec gets an IP from the DLink, you are connected Actiontec WAN to DLink LAN, which makes the Actiontec LAN a different network than the DLink. If your security DVR and other computers are connected to the DLink, the port forwards in hubrisnxs's link should be working correctly.

If you keep the router connection this way (option 6) but the DVR and computers are connected to the Actiontec LAN, you need to set up port forwards in both routers so a device connected on the Actiontec LAN is forwarded to the DLink LAN which is forwarded to the internet. I have a single slingbox connected this way.

If you have multiple devices that require port forwards, it may be simpler to connect the Actiontec as LAN-to-LAN connection to the DLink. Use option 7 in MoreFiber's link. Then you only have to set the port forward in the DLink, since the Actiontec's WAN port is not used.