Meadville, PA

Final Level(3) Installation

Click for full size
Alcatel Lucent - Front

Alcatel Lucent - Back
Click for full size
Ethernet Hand-Off
I started this (
»Level(3) Installation) thread awhile ago. I wanted to provide the final pictures.

The final picture also has PRI hand-offs as well as the Ethernet. The Ethernet is Internet and MPLS.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Deceivingly spartan.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to d0nni3q

The copper cabling is brutal, to be honest... The wraps of black tape at the cable butt, patch cords ty-wrapped to the twisted-pair.

It'll work, but it's not very neat.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to d0nni3q

I was going to say that too.

Installing a beautiful piece of equipment like that with dogshit (Sorry but that really is dogshit) copper wiring.

No no no excuse for that to be in any kind of data environment. That's the work of a home phone installer on a bad day.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to d0nni3q

»/speak/slidesh···luZy0%3D

An older pic, but it gives you an idea of some other ways it could have been done.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to d0nni3q

Sad DMX Metro is sad

I've installed a thousand of them, and there is no way I could get away with that! My companies internal QA team would chew it up, and if they missed anything AT&T's QA team would rape me.

Ok, maybe not a thousand DMX Metros... ~500 of them were probably DMXtend's!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

The copper cabling is brutal, to be honest... The wraps of black tape at the cable butt, patch cords ty-wrapped to the twisted-pair.

At least there is no duct tape...
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

LOL! BellSouth used to require us to wrap the ends of shielded cable with grey electrical tape. It should wrap around the conductors 2 times, and then up to the sheath 2 times. Cut cleanly vs "ripping." A non-sheilded cable didn't require tape.

Now we're allowed to use black, but it looks terrible. It was a cost saving measure, because the price of 1 roll of grey can buy 10 rolls of black!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to LazMan

Ah memories.

I remember most of this stuff like it was yesterday. :-/

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

LOL! BellSouth used to require us to wrap the ends of shielded cable with grey electrical tape. It should wrap around the conductors 2 times, and then up to the sheath 2 times. Cut cleanly vs "ripping." A non-sheilded cable didn't require tape.

Now we're allowed to use black, but it looks terrible. It was a cost saving measure, because the price of 1 roll of grey can buy 10 rolls of black!

Was that with propper STP plugs and STP cable or UTP plugs with STP cable?

Because with an STP plug its easy to tell, thus I wouldn't see the reason for the tape.

And if STP cable with UTP plugs then why not do it right and get STP plugs.
--
»Death Star Petition

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

Per TP-76300, Section K, 3.5.3:
"Exposed shields of shielded cable shall be protected with two half-lapped layers of electrical tape or heat shrinkable sleeve."

My comment was about breaking the sheath of larger STP cable. While we do sometimes run standard 4 pair CAT5/6 cable, our typical run is 25 to 100 pair. The DMX has AMP connectors on the system side. DS1's are installed in groups of 28, and DS3's are installed in 12's or 24's. All is shielded cable, and requires tape where we "butt" the cable for termination.

Although the DMX Metro can be used for ethernet I can only recall two or three customers who've requested it in 8-10 years we've been installing them. My last Level-3 install was 192 DS3's, but the typical customer (or multi tennant) install is:

FN-A: 56 DS1's
FN-B: 56 DS1's
FN-C: Vacant for OCxx drops
FN-D: 24 DS3's

I know that seems like a lot of DS1's, but they're still used for a TON of things. If a DISC*S accompanies it, it can eat up to 28. A Wescom T1 repeater is almost always included, and can eat another 28.