Step 2 - Rack Survey

Step 3 - Make Note of What NOT To Do

HP 3PAR F400
Click for full size
Panduit is Good for Fiber!
Click for full size
Tangled Cables, Meet Lacing Bar!
Click for full size
2x Brocade 8/24 Fabric Switches (A and B Fabric)
Click for full size
HP C7000 Blade Chassis with FlexFabric
Click for full size
Coming Together Nicely
Click for full size
Storage Fabric Loaded Up
Click for full size
Blade Chassis FlexFabric Lit

Much Better with Cables!
Click for full size
Up Comes Fiber into Storage Array

Clean HP 3PAR F400 Back
Some photos of the work I did turning up a new HP C7000 Blade Chassis, Brocade 8/24 Fabric Switches, and a HP 3PAR F400 storage array.

I work for a company where IT does the rack/stack as well as all of the configuration. Some companies have several smaller teams. While I wish that was the case when my fingers hurt from all this building, it is worth it in the long run...knowing how it all works and is put together.

Enjoy!

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by d0nni3q:

Some photos of the work I did turning up a new HP C7000 Blade Chassis, Brocade 8/24 Fabric Switches, and a HP 3PAR F400 storage array.

I work for a company where IT does the rack/stack as well as all of the configuration. Some companies have several smaller teams. While I wish that was the case when my fingers hurt from all this building, it is worth it in the long run...knowing how it all works and is put together.

Enjoy!

It's always fun finding out that the outlets for the rack are directly beneath the rack and out of reach. That, and cable organization/runs are the most difficult parts of a general install I'd say.

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium
join:2001-12-04
Nesconset, NY
reply to d0nni3q

3PAR... what a beautiful thing.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to d0nni3q

Never liked L6-20 plugs/sockets from the instant I first saw them.

Give me IEC 60309 any day!

Love the wiring post clean up. Beautiful.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

You sure they're not L6-30 ?

why would you do 220-240 on only 20amp (I mean sure its as good as 120@40amp but still)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

2 edits

Actually you could be right that it is L6-30, the ring of terminals seems quite spread out whereas on L6-20 its much more compact? Either way....

You do your power circuits based on what you need to support. Most buildings have finite power budgets and can't afford to install high capacity circuits to every socket.

Most of the power circuits we provision are 16A because the majority of the equipment we operate takes 16A feeds or less. We use IEC 60309 plugs/sockets, they just seem more secure when plugged in to me

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to d0nni3q

Question..

It's hard to tell from the pics what everything goes do, but I'm curious why you didn't direct attach the C7000 to the 3Par? That is a supported connectivity model with these products.

d0nni3q

join:2006-11-05
Meadville, PA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

You sure they're not L6-30 ?

why would you do 220-240 on only 20amp (I mean sure its as good as 120@40amp but still)

Indeed, they are L6-30. Our facilities team has been able to provide varying ends as requested. We have a lot of L6-30 and seems to be rather standard for our gear. So we've stuck with that. We do have a jumbo IEC Hubble for the C7000 PDUs!

d0nni3q

Meadville, PA
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

Question..

It's hard to tell from the pics what everything goes do, but I'm curious why you didn't direct attach the C7000 to the 3Par? That is a supported connectivity model with these products.

We opted for the Brocade fabric switches for a couple reasons. First, cost. We were able to get the Brocade fabric switches much cheaper than the FlexFabric switches and the Brocades had more density. Second, cable nightmare. We have three storage arrays and two blade chassis. We would have had to cross connect the blade chassis in the FlexFabric and then if one blade chassis went down, we'd be out a storage array, etc. etc. All in all, we wanted to have a "SAN core" which we built with the Brocades. In the big picture, we would have had the same amount of hops between details if we connected them directly; but, with higher cost and more complexity.

buckweet1980

Allen, TX

Makes perfect sense to me.. Cost is always a big reason to do something. It was hard to see if you were using the VC modules. I actually work for the vendor (HP), but in a different part of the enterprise group. So I was just curious as to the reasoning why one path was chosen over the other.

Thx for the insight!

buckweet1980

Allen, TX
reply to d0nni3q

Also which interconnect module did you use?

d0nni3q

Meadville, PA

said by buckweet1980:

We are using the "HP VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port Module" (571956-B21) interconnect with 4.01 firmware.

buckweet1980

Allen, TX

Since you're using the VC modules, which FlexFabric switches were you referring to as being more expensive? Are you talking about the VC module or some of the HP Networking gear?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to d0nni3q

said by d0nni3q:

said by buckweet1980:

We are using the "HP VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port Module" (571956-B21) interconnect with 4.01 firmware.

Where I'm at we're using
455880-B21 with 3.70 firmware (Ya pushing for that to be upgraded ain't happening)
--
semper idem

buckweet1980

Allen, TX

I assume you say that from the years of awful firmware update procedures? From my understanding that whole issue has been fixed on the later versions (finally). I'm not sure if that's the 4.x that fixed it though. I do know it's a single package you download now, where as before it was multiple (??)..

thanks for the input all

d0nni3q

Meadville, PA
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

Since you're using the VC modules, which FlexFabric switches were you referring to as being more expensive? Are you talking about the VC module or some of the HP Networking gear?

My "more expensive" comment was intended to justify why we went with a Brocade core SAN rather than loading the C7000 with more than two FlexFabric VC modules (4 or 6) to direct attach everything. The FlexFabric VC modules were going for around $13,000 each whereas the Brocades were going for around $5,000 at the time we purchased.

d0nni3q

Meadville, PA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Where I'm at we're using
455880-B21 with 3.70 firmware (Ya pushing for that to be upgraded ain't happening)

I had success taking the 3.70 firmware to 3.75 on the FlexFabric VC modules. The key was to upload the firmware non-parallel and initiate the reset of each module manually. Then during a low I/O time in our environment, I reset one module at a time. All I/O moved to the alertnate module as designed. The 4.01 modules were a new deployment, so no issue there.

Is Baytown near The Woodlands? I'll be there in October. I'll swing by and give you a hand!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I live in Baytown I don't work there, but woodlands IIRC is on the other side and an hour north of houston

And its a layer 8 issue as to why the firmware isn't getting upgraded.
--
semper idem

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

said by DarkLogix:

its a layer 8 issue

Haha - Layer 8....nice Gotta love it...

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to d0nni3q