how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gallowsroad

join:2004-08-09
Jenks, OK

[Lens] Sigma Lens - Repair or Replace?

Recently bought a Nikon D7000 and a Sigma 17-50 2.8 to go with it. I took some initial test shots, and all seemed fantastic.

In subsequent days I noticed some semi-tranparent spots that appear on medium to very light uniform color areas of all my photos, in three different places. One near the center of the frame, the other two near the left edge. I cleaned the sensor, removed the lens from the body and inspected it visually but saw nothing amiss on the glass, replaced it and the spots persist.

A week ago or so I received a used Sigma 50-150 2.8. The photos taken when it is on the body do not exhibit any of the spotting I see using the other lens.

My question is this: the 17-50 works perfectly in all ways except these spots. I am within the return/exchange period. Is it better to simply swap the lens for a new copy, or send it to Sigma for warranty service?

Appreciate your advice.
--
Ha ha haaaaaaa....ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

- John Lydon, last Sex Pistols show

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

Honestly, if it were me i would go for the swap from the store where you bought the lens. The store probably will send you a new lens in a day, but will charge your credit card temporarily until they receive your returned lens. A good store would probably pay for next day air to keep you happy.

To return the lens to Sigma means that you will be without a lens for weeks.

Getting a new lens also has another advantage. If you get a new lens and the problem still persists, then at least you know that it is a camera problem.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK

Return may be the way to go. I'll have to see Monday what the turnaround time is like.

Is Sigma turnaround weeks or longer for warranty work?

I did test the camera with a second, different lens, and there were no spots. What does show up with the 17-50 look like misshapen moisture drops or something.
--
Ha ha haaaaaaa....ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

- John Lydon, last Sex Pistols show

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

If this is happening at all f/stops, it is probably the lens, and I would send it back for a replacement. Repairs can take a long time with some companies. Just my opinion

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to gallowsroad

If the option were mine, I'd swap.

Ralph.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK

1 recommendation

reply to SueS

It occurs at all apertures and focal lengths.

Seems the consensus is to swap, so that's what I'll do tomorrow.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
reply to rcroning

Amazon arranged an immediate swap and a cross ship. New lens arrives Tuesday. They aren't charging me even temporarily for the second lens while they await the returned one, which was a big surprise.

Here's hoping the replacement is good to go.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to gallowsroad

Looking forward to the test results.

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

reply to gallowsroad

said by gallowsroad:

Amazon arranged an immediate swap and a cross ship. New lens arrives Tuesday. They aren't charging me even temporarily for the second lens while they await the returned one, which was a big surprise.

Here's hoping the replacement is good to go.

You know, even though you got a defective lens from the seller, you will always remember that they took care of you.

My boss, the then CEO of a $25,000,000 company once told me that customers don't care that they had a problem. They remember how well you took care of the problem.

I remembered that all my life in business as a sales manager for companies from $6,000,000 to $16,000,000 and it was probably the best advice I ever had.