spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

[Beginner] A Converting to MAC Question

I made a Hackintosh, just as a dumb project and I had a spare hard drive for my laptop.

Well, I am impressed. After 20 years with Windows, a million updates and a thousand problems, I am seriously thinking of switching a desktop and a laptop to mac's. Both my printers and scanner will work with a mac.

One insurmountable problem exists. For 5 years I have been putting together a monthly newsletter, hundreds of documents and several 60 page journals for an organization that my wife and I belong to. The files are Microsoft Publisher .pub files. I have to be able to edit, save and print these files.

Is there any way these files can be used, accessed and edited on a Mac?

Zamzar converts a .pub file to pdf, but a pdf is really not editable.

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie

As a 'last resort' you COULD run Parallels/Fusion or the free VirtualBox and use Publisher directly.....or even Bootcamp into Windows and run it........

I have to run one Windows program, intermittently on my mac.....no conversion/alternative exists...so I (reluctantly) fire up the excellent..and free VirtualBox...which runs any flavour of Windows and it's associated Apps......and very quick it is too......

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by kerriskandie:

...you COULD run Parallels/Fusion or the free VirtualBox and use Publisher directly.....

...in windowed mode (as opposed to full screen), these virtual computers, the Windows OS running Publisher (which you would run full screen within Windows so you wont have to see the rest of Windows) will appear as any other program you use. It's a bit of a pain to set it up, but when you're done, you just click the dock, work on your Publisher program and then close or minimize.
Switching to and from Publisher will be no different than firing up Safari or Mail.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
I have no experience in this area but found this:

»www.ehow.com/how_5904358 ··· ice.html

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
I believe the most recent version of Libre Office added support for MS Publisher files.

»www.libreoffice.org/down ··· d-fixes/
bgraham2
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

Click for full size
saving .pub as .docx
Thanks everyone. I think I will try libreoffice. I hope it works. I don't do anything really complex in Publisher such as importing spread sheets, but I do have a lot of graphics and a decent amount of layers.

Just as a FYI, saving a .pub file as a .doc or a .docx in MS Publisher is pretty useless. It only saves the text. Who would use a desktop publishing program for just text?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
I'll mention it again: your MS product might work with Mac seamlessly using CrossOver for Mac. No special things you'd need to do.

»www.codeweavers.com/comp ··· _id=6137
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to bgraham2

to bgraham2
Apple's Pages won't be able to open them directly but I would suggest trying it out. For creating publications it's a lot better.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to bgraham2

MVM

to bgraham2
Wouldn't Microsoft Office for OS X be able to open and edit Publisher files,.....?

Were you referring to buying a real Mac or sticking with your Hackintosh? If sticking with the Hackintosh you could still dual boot into Windows or runn a VM and if buying a Mac, as stated before, bootcamp or VM.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

Wouldn't Microsoft Office for OS X be able to open and edit Publisher files,.....?

No, it can't.
bgraham2
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2 to J E F F4

to J E F F4
I will give the trial version a go.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

said by bgraham2:

I will give the trial version a go.

A great place to find how to videos is apple.com/findouthow There is a whole section for pages. Also, for publications you'll want to start with a layout template not word processing.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to bgraham2

Mod

to bgraham2
publisher = no equiv. Need windows for that.

That or use indesign.