join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

Chevrolet SS

Looks promising:

"Borrowing the 2013 Corvette's 415 horsepower V-8 engine, the SS can go from 0 to 60 mph in under five seconds while comfortably seating five.

INSIDE: All the SS models come loaded and seat five. Leather seats with added side bolstering for spirited cornering. Nine-speaker sound system. Push-button start. Touch screen. Automatic parallel parking-assist sensors. Lane departure warning, blind-spot detector and backup camera, plus front collision alert."

»www.nydailynews.com/autos/chevro···.1266890

grcore
Challenge Accepted

join:2003-12-06
usa

Another re-badged Aussie GM, just like the G8 that nobody wanted.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by grcore:

Another re-badged Aussie GM, just like the G8 that nobody wanted.

From the article: "The Australian-built car is a new version of the Pontiac G8"

What a Bland-mobile.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1

said by HarryH3:

What a Bland-mobile.

You say "bland-mobile". I say "sleeper".

I think it's a good looking car. Not necessarily distinctive or even memorable. But it's not ugly, and it's a lot better looking than many cars out there.

The fact that it's RWD and has way more power than it needs is a huge bonus to me. It does look like a bland grocery getter. That's kind of the point. The personality of this car isn't how it looks. It's how it performs.

I'll take this before ANY Honda Accord, Camry, or Maxima. Then again, I'm biased. I drive a large brick (that seats 7 and looks like a soccer team bus) that's nearly as fast as the Chevy SS.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

said by Mospaw:

I like sleepers.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to sk1939

Interested,

They'll sell them to us grumpy old farts....
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to sk1939

If the G8 was "unwanted", why are the prices for a used G8 GXP still near original sticker several years later?

Having said that, they had better keep the prices reasonable. You can go buy a 429hp 5.0 Hyundai Genesis and get this kind of power, 8spd auto, big brakes in a luxury sedan for mid 40s. The trick to a sleeper sedan is to be fast and do it in comfort & style.

I did modify (intake, tuner) my Lincoln Continental so maybe I am the kind of buyer they're looking for.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

grcore
Challenge Accepted

usa
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

said by MooJohn:

If the G8 was "unwanted", why are the prices for a used G8 GXP still near original sticker several years later?

Really? You may want to check your facts on this one. I'm calling you on this...

grcore
Challenge Accepted

usa
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to Mospaw

said by Mospaw:

said by HarryH3:

What a Bland-mobile.

You call that a sleeper?

Now this is what I call a sleeper:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Hv_jRQMv8

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by grcore:

said by Mospaw:

said by HarryH3:

What a Bland-mobile.

You call that a sleeper?

Now this is what I call a sleeper:
(youtube clip)

That's classic sleeper, but hardly a sleeper nowadays as it's recognizable as American muscle. The whole point of a sleeper is for it to be fast, and for people to not guess it's fast from the outside. Good sleepers are hard to find nowadays, your limited to the Altima V6, the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec, possibly the twin-turboed 335i, and that's about it.

My dad had one of those before he decided it wasn't worth repairing anymore (rust and transmission issues) after 19+ years. I still him he was slightly nuts to get rid of it, it had the three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic transmission mated to the 327ci V8. It also had no A/C which made for brutal summers.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to grcore

I have actually seen a Nova doing a burnout once in the U district (Seattle) during early afternoon traffic on 15th.
That car must've braking the front wheels.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Serious drag cars, and those that just like to show off, install a line lock. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_lock
Or if you are cheap and stupid like some of my friends were back in high school, disable the rear brakes on the car.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
reply to Mospaw

You can call it a sleeper if you like. I call it a snoozer. It looks like every other rolling jellybean out there.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by HarryH3:

You can call it a sleeper if you like. I call it a snoozer. It looks like every other rolling jellybean out there.

So what would you like to see? Another Corvette?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

The whole point of a sleeper is for it to be fast, and for people to not guess it's fast from the outside. Good sleepers are hard to find nowadays, your limited to the Altima V6, the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec, possibly the twin-turboed 335i, and that's about it.

My wife had an '05 Altima SL (V6) that we traded in for a GMC Acadia (go look at the side impact results for that Altima ... Abysmal.). It was definitely a fun car to drive, and as you said, a sleeper - most Altimas are of the 4-cyl variety.

Anyway, her first day taking the Acadia to work, she told me how much she missed the punch of the Altima ... I told her it was like upgrading from a Jeep to a Sherman tank - just not going to be the same.

Aside from that, she loves the Acadia and would buy another one tomorrow.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to grcore

said by grcore:

Really? You may want to check your facts on this one. I'm calling you on this...

Well, there are only two for sale within 300 miles of me. Here's one:
»www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale···41315605

This car sold new for around $37k. Now that it is 4 years old and has 66k miles it is still selling for $27k. Show me another domestic car that holds its value like that.

Switch to nationwide search and you find one with just under 22k miles asking $35k -- a whole $2k under original sticker.

»www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale···31290859
--
John M - Cranky network guy

heebz6020

join:2001-03-10
Milwaukee, WI

Do we know what the price for this is expected to be ?
I'd be interested in something like this. Hey, the right color with some nice aftermarket rims and performance tires and it could look bad ass and still whip the snot out of most of whats out on the road.
--
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.....

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to MooJohn

said by MooJohn:

Show me another domestic car that holds its value like that.

Plymouth Prowler....
--
Wacky Races 2012!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by aurgathor:

said by MooJohn:

Plymouth Prowler....

Ewww.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to heebz6020

said by heebz6020:

Do we know what the price for this is expected to be ?
I'd be interested in something like this. Hey, the right color with some nice aftermarket rims and performance tires and it could look bad ass and still whip the snot out of most of whats out on the road.

I'd expect around 30-40k starting price. My guess is it's targeting BMW's M3 and the Taurus SHO, so it would be priced accordingly.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to sk1939

a sleeper lol, its this rusty chevette i saw at the modified car show last year. rust paint galore on the outside, under the hood a 3.8 v6 (not crazy stupid huge) which is enough to make a chevette get respect. Fiero front brakes. you see this car comming down the street you assume its some old beat up chevette, until he lays some rubber

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Nah - Late 80's early 90's Civic hatchback, 400+ HP motor from a former NASCAR engine builder - no sheet metal changes needed - used as a parts runner...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

said by MooJohn:

Plymouth Prowler....

Always wanted one of those.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Me too. First it was .com crash, then a divorce.

Just doing a cursory search, I've seen asking prices over $50k!!
--
Wacky Races 2012!

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by aurgathor:

Me too. First it was .com crash, then a divorce.

Just doing a cursory search, I've seen asking prices over $50k!!

They went for about that new I believe. I've always had to buy vehicles with function in mind (kids).

grcore
Challenge Accepted

usa
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to MooJohn

said by MooJohn:

Tell ya what, I'll show you a domestic that holds value better, thats cheaper, faster, and handles better.

Camaro SS

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by grcore:

said by MooJohn:

Tell ya what, I'll show you a domestic that holds value better, thats cheaper, faster, and handles better.

Camaro SS

i remember the ste-therese built camaro ss and firebird firehawk, they were customized by an outsource company called Zekes automotive 5 minutes from my work, was a hoot seeing all those gorgeous cars on that lot!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

They went for about that new I believe. I've always had to buy vehicles with function in mind (kids).

MSRP was from mid 30's to low or mid 40's, depending on year.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

That's classic sleeper, but hardly a sleeper nowadays as it's recognizable as American muscle. The whole point of a sleeper is for it to be fast, and for people to not guess it's fast from the outside. Good sleepers are hard to find nowadays, your limited to the Altima V6, the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec, possibly the twin-turboed 335i, and that's about it.

Taurus SHO comes to mind. Any color but Candy Red. Focus ST too.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Mospaw

said by Mospaw:

said by HarryH3:

What a Bland-mobile.

I think it's a good looking car. Not necessarily distinctive or even memorable. But it's not ugly, and it's a lot better looking than many cars out there.

The fact that it's RWD and has way more power than it needs is a huge bonus to me. It does look like a bland grocery getter. That's kind of the point. The personality of this car isn't how it looks. It's how it performs.

I'll take this before ANY Honda Accord, Camry, or Maxima. Then again, I'm biased. I drive a large brick (that seats 7 and looks like a soccer team bus) that's nearly as fast as the Chevy SS.

The not so typical FWD sleeper that beats many RWD v-8s

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrfIW4zQmM

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?