TSI Support
ISP Employee
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

4 edits

TSI Outages

ISP Employee

[OUTAGE REPORT] March 3, 2013 8:09am

There is currently an outage in the Ottawa area on the St Laurent POI. We are looking to get this issue resolved ASAP. No ETA at this time. Thank you for your patience.

Shawn S

******************UPDATE******************
Thank you for your patience. The issue in Ottawa has been resolved. Service should be restored.
TSI Outages

2 edits

TSI Outages

ISP Employee

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] March 3, 2013 08:55am

*UPDATE* - There is a fiber cut in ottawa affecting customers on the St. Laurent POI
TSI Outages

TSI Outages

ISP Employee

*UPDATE* Not a fiber cut, The issue in Ottawa is actually a scheduled power outage in Kemptville. This should be resolved by 12:00-12:30

Shawn S.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] March 3, 2013 8:09am

Hmmmmm.....

There's a BIG difference in TSI

a) *KNOWING* about a scheduled power outage and not informing customers
b) being unaware of a scheduled power outage and not having procedures in-place to find out about such things in-advance
c) saying that there's a cut fiber someplace without verification
d) making a wild-assed guess that there's a cut fiber someplace

No matter which of the foregoing this episode illustrates, TSI has some way to go in finding out what goes on in *their* network - after all, you're more than just a mere white label reseller .... aren't you?
smerrikin
join:2011-03-30
Ottawa, ON

smerrikin

E) Kemptville power outage and St. Laurent being down? I doubt it. Two wildly different areas.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Hello,

When we notice St-Laurent going down, our NOC contacted Rogers to find out.
They advised us it was a Fiber cut... We relayed the message to our customers.

We were then updated with the fact that it's a planned power outage, we again are updating our customer.

So the answer to a, b, c, d are E) none of the above.

Martin.
Threz
join:2011-02-02

Threz

I'm not trying to question your response, but if it was a scheduled power outage why did Teksavvy not know about it?

Isn't that the entire point of having a scheduled outage, so that preparations can be made in advance to mitigate any outage/issues?
Sketter
join:2010-10-18
Toronto, ON

Sketter

Clearly there was no obligation to tell TSI about it.

Some people forget how this works still....

Eric22247
@184.151.127.x

Eric22247 to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
How does a power outage in Kemptville affect all of east Ottawa?
I thought you had fibre to each POI unless you have some intermediary equipment in Kemptville ?? Kinda weak sauce design.
smerrikin
join:2011-03-30
Ottawa, ON

smerrikin to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Its also not TSI that is down. Acanac is aswell.

AlexStLaure
@rogers.com

AlexStLaure to TSI Outages

Anon

to TSI Outages

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] March 3, 2013 08:55am

Thank you

Will you be considering upgrades to armour plated fiber in the future?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] March 3, 2013 8:09am

It's a good question though.. I dont know if we got notified about this or not. and if we did.. not sure the incumbents will want that stuff getting put up.. seems they'd just as well stop sending us those notices if they had to run it through the PR machine..

it's not like doing anything in advance would have prevented the outage...

the reason we post stuff up is so ppl know that it's not just them when it's actually going on... it helps cut down on call wait times... bunch of positive reasons.

we've always done pro-active notices for our own maintenance...

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to TSI Outages

Premium Member

to TSI Outages
It looks as though it's not Internet based but town based power outage. Looks like it's the power grid infrastructure being tested.

»www.hydroone.com/stormcenter/
Click at top right on Planned!
Threz

Threz to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I definitely prefer the quicker-but-potentially-not-100%-accurate notices to fewer, slower but more PR-friendly notices.

It just seems like something went wrong here, which is a shame for Teksavvy for sure. Hopefully this event will initiate some sort of change in protocol and increase in communication.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

generally speaking, these notices of ours go up when we start hearing that some users are down.. so we put these up to let others know that they may also be affected by the same thing...

it's not a question of slow or fewer.. they get put up as soon as we see a pattern emerging... in real time...
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Time for a CRTC filing for mandatory advance notice from incumbents about things they plan in-advance, and for stuff that happens ad-hoc

A simple RSS feed with an extensible XML formatted message structure to allow for enhancements down the road ought to do just fine. I'm sure a summer intern could whip something up that could be GIVEN to the incumbents for free to be run in their NOC's (not the incumbent-typical "It'll take 21 years and $1.68 Billion dollars to implement).
Threz

Threz to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

generally speaking, these notices of ours go up when we start hearing that some users are down.. so we put these up to let others know that they may also be affected by the same thing...

it's not a question of slow or fewer.. they get put up as soon as we see a pattern emerging... in real time...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I'm criticizing the notices. I greatly appreciate them, and truly wish that more ISP/Companies would do the exact same as Teksavvy.

I just meant that in this case, I find it strange that Hydro One would have a scheduled power outage and that the effected customers - us - are only finding out about it after the fact. Not sure who to blame, whether the Rogers, Hydro One or whoever for the lack of communication before the event. After the outage, I think Teksavvy has been doing a wonderful job of communicating.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
haha. maybe... to be honest though, having managed the network here at TekSavvy.. being forced to report on every single little hiccup would be a nightmare. I really dont see something like this going that far at the CRTC.

It almost seems to me that maybe we're attracting more scrutiny than is worth with these reports... it's been brought to my attention more than once that we should just stop reporting like this. I've made it a priority because I really believe that it's important to tell it like it is... regardless of what it may make us look like. It's more the principal of it... i.e. i dont see any other ISPs doing this...

I do see it all the time though where people appreciate knowing it's not them.. we've all been there pulling wires and swearing and kicking stuff (well maybe not everybody but I have to admit that I've had many instances where kicking it actually solved it!) only to find it it's the entire town or whatever that's down. it's frustrating... that's really what I'm thinking about when I tell the crew to do these reports...

*shrug*

wweqweqw
@184.151.127.x

wweqweqw to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
hi marc,
thanks for these updates.

i understand the challenges... and please understand our frustration...

it's frustrating to think/feel/know(?) that your isp doesnt have much control, info, or `say` into how and when your `highspeed` will work.

i know you are all working hard there... and your customers are experiencing a lot of down time, unacceptable speeds on youtube, etc. both real. both happening.

thanks,

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Threz

Premium Member

to Threz
oh I see what you're saying.. right. well from what Martin posted.. it looks like they did notify about it. what's the right thing though when it comes to us.. and you know, our ability to monitor every utility and what not.. that's really not possible.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Yeah, Kemptville is quite a distance from St-Laurent.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'm checking though to see if we did get a notice about it or not.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to wweqweqw

Premium Member

to wweqweqw
said by wweqweqw :

hi marc,
thanks for these updates.

i understand the challenges... and please understand our frustration...

it's frustrating to think/feel/know(?) that your isp doesnt have much control, info, or `say` into how and when your `highspeed` will work.

i know you are all working hard there... and your customers are experiencing a lot of down time, unacceptable speeds on youtube, etc. both real. both happening.

thanks,

for sure. I hear you. I do have to say though that regardless of what ISP you'd be with, those responsible for actually breaking and fixing stuff are always the same people. i.e. if you were with bell and something was down.. it would be bell who has to fix it regardless.. us having control really doesn't enter into the equation. it just needs to be fixed and all those affected, their users and ours will get back online when its fixed.

I dont think we're experiencing any more down time than any other. I think you have that perception because we report on it all the time and second because we have many users.. so no matter where the outage may be.. we will likely have a customer who's affected by it. others who may not not have customers in those areas wouldn't have cause to report or to know about it...

as for youtube.. it seems that they themselves are having issues.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
So, Hydro has a scheduled power outage in the tiny village of Kemptville and the internet is down in East & South Ottawa? Makes it sound like our telecommunications infrastructure is all duct tape and bailing wire.

This is B.S. pure and simple - who are the clowns running this show? Heads should roll!

For me, no internet = no phone. That $10/mo for a backup Telus 4G/LTE stick is paying off.

Thanks Teksavyy for at least trying to inform your customers.

Clark_Kent
join:2003-01-11
canada

Clark_Kent to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages
Orleans here and just got back online 5 minutes ago.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Twitter is also blowing up with people coming back online.
Jenny07
join:2012-09-09
k4a 0l2

Jenny07 to Clark_Kent

to Clark_Kent
said by Clark_Kent:

Orleans here and just got back online 5 minutes ago.

Likewise

TomV
@rogers.com

TomV to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
People should relax man its not the end of the world. We know things will be restored shortly. It was very appreciated to know what is going on. In the meantime I'm going to do something without internet. Teksavvy has maybe been down this one time for me. I think their service is great too. Thanks again for the update.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

oh I see what you're saying.. right. well from what Martin posted.. it looks like they did notify about it. what's the right thing though when it comes to us.. and you know, our ability to monitor every utility and what not.. that's really not possible.

Uh....am I the only one here missing the obvious? UPS?...even a battery backup connected to where-ever your equipment is?

Or does TSI not have any physical access at all to the Cable equipment in the Rogers areas, or any other Cable area for that matter?

Or was this a matter of, Rogers network runs through Kemptville which is funny because that's a Cogeco area and with this power outage in kemptville the equipment was simply powered down?

Just thought something like this might be simple to setup...for power outages anyways, it gives you a headsup to say, "switched to ups at xxxx, better see whats going on"....that way you have some lead time before its just 'poof router gone, calls inbound, lets see how big the queue can get before we realize whats broke'...

Just my thinking on the matter.
chantl01
Premium Member
join:2012-01-05
Ottawa, ON

chantl01

Premium Member

Thanks for the updates Teksavvy! I really appreciated knowing the cause and the status of the problem. And especially knowing pretty much instantly when the outage was resolved.