uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [OUTAGE REPORT] March 3, 2013 8:09am

Yeah, Kemptville is quite a distance from St-Laurent.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to TSI Marc

I'm checking though to see if we did get a notice about it or not.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to wweqweqw

said by wweqweqw :

hi marc,
thanks for these updates.

i understand the challenges... and please understand our frustration...

it's frustrating to think/feel/know(?) that your isp doesnt have much control, info, or `say` into how and when your `highspeed` will work.

i know you are all working hard there... and your customers are experiencing a lot of down time, unacceptable speeds on youtube, etc. both real. both happening.

thanks,

for sure. I hear you. I do have to say though that regardless of what ISP you'd be with, those responsible for actually breaking and fixing stuff are always the same people. i.e. if you were with bell and something was down.. it would be bell who has to fix it regardless.. us having control really doesn't enter into the equation. it just needs to be fixed and all those affected, their users and ours will get back online when its fixed.

I dont think we're experiencing any more down time than any other. I think you have that perception because we report on it all the time and second because we have many users.. so no matter where the outage may be.. we will likely have a customer who's affected by it. others who may not not have customers in those areas wouldn't have cause to report or to know about it...

as for youtube.. it seems that they themselves are having issues.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to TSI Outages

So, Hydro has a scheduled power outage in the tiny village of Kemptville and the internet is down in East & South Ottawa? Makes it sound like our telecommunications infrastructure is all duct tape and bailing wire.

This is B.S. pure and simple - who are the clowns running this show? Heads should roll!

For me, no internet = no phone. That $10/mo for a backup Telus 4G/LTE stick is paying off.

Thanks Teksavyy for at least trying to inform your customers.

Clark_Kent

join:2003-01-11
canada
reply to TSI Outages

Orleans here and just got back online 5 minutes ago.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Twitter is also blowing up with people coming back online.

Jenny

join:2012-09-09
k4a 0l2
reply to Clark_Kent

said by Clark_Kent:

Orleans here and just got back online 5 minutes ago.

Likewise

TomV

@rogers.com
reply to TSI Marc

People should relax man its not the end of the world. We know things will be restored shortly. It was very appreciated to know what is going on. In the meantime I'm going to do something without internet. Teksavvy has maybe been down this one time for me. I think their service is great too. Thanks again for the update.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

oh I see what you're saying.. right. well from what Martin posted.. it looks like they did notify about it. what's the right thing though when it comes to us.. and you know, our ability to monitor every utility and what not.. that's really not possible.

Uh....am I the only one here missing the obvious? UPS?...even a battery backup connected to where-ever your equipment is?

Or does TSI not have any physical access at all to the Cable equipment in the Rogers areas, or any other Cable area for that matter?

Or was this a matter of, Rogers network runs through Kemptville which is funny because that's a Cogeco area and with this power outage in kemptville the equipment was simply powered down?

Just thought something like this might be simple to setup...for power outages anyways, it gives you a headsup to say, "switched to ups at xxxx, better see whats going on"....that way you have some lead time before its just 'poof router gone, calls inbound, lets see how big the queue can get before we realize whats broke'...

Just my thinking on the matter.

chantl01
Premium
join:2012-01-05
Ottawa, ON

Thanks for the updates Teksavvy! I really appreciated knowing the cause and the status of the problem. And especially knowing pretty much instantly when the outage was resolved.

old sparks

join:2011-02-17
Greely, ON
reply to WhaleOilBee

Same with me - no internet = no phone. At least it was resolved fairly quickly.

Brawlur

@184.151.127.x
reply to TSI Marc

I for one am with TekSavvy precisely for they reason that they do communicate the issues. This is the first outage I've had in the years I've been a customer. I'm grateful that I'm not wasting my time talking to a call centre trouble shooter who will walk me through the normal steps to resolving issues only to have it "magically" start to work again

Keep up the great service and don't change a thing.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to TSI Outages

Well, it was sort of a fibre cut The fibre relay in Kemptville had no power Crappy design but what else is new.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Given Rogers cell towers are both down cowpath 416 via Kemptville and forestpath 7 then 15 via Smiths Falls, it would make some sense that SLNT is served via Kemptville where FLFRD and RCHRD are served via Smiths Falls.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

Well, it was sort of a fibre cut The fibre relay in Kemptville had no power Crappy design but what else is new.

Nice job on the design of a power backup system for that relay.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1

Why do people think redundancy can be built everywhere? That just not feasible.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to TSI Outages

As much redundancy as feasible is essential for comms services. I was appalled when I moved back to Canada from the UK and discovered the LACK of redundancy on so many things, including power control.

Chulaka

@telus.com
reply to TSI Outages

Still no connection. Rebooted modem many times, spoke with tech support. Apparently I am still not getting a proper network connection. The IP address I have is 169... something. Can't even go to the modem page. Teksavvy is talking to Rogers.

TSI ShawnS
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
kudos:3

said by Chulaka :

Still no connection. Rebooted modem many times, spoke with tech support. Apparently I am still not getting a proper network connection. The IP address I have is 169... something. Can't even go to the modem page. Teksavvy is talking to Rogers.

Can you please Post this in the Direct forum with your account info so that we may look into this for you? Thanks
»TekSavvy Direct

Gskill

join:2012-10-01

2 edits

Internet's back up but speeds are a little off tonight (abnormally low). I'm assuming everything's not completely back to normal then? Ah well, hope everything gets back on track in a few days! Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada
reply to TSI Outages

»rogershelp.com/wireless_button/ivr/

"Service Alert
We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with some customers being unable to access the Internet in the Scarborough area. As of March 1 @2:03 PM we do not have an Estimated Time to restore however we are working on the problem and will provide updates regularly."

How is it that Teksavvy isn't aware of this?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

We aren't currently affected by this.

Martin

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada

4 edits

said by TSI Martin:

We aren't currently affected by this.

Martin

I believe you were. I had no connection last night and opened a ticket with Teksavvy. I called Rogers this morning and asked when the situation in Scarborough would be resolved. I was told, "very shortly." I replied, "Before the end of the day?"

"Oh yeah, way before then".

I asked if they could tell if I was affected, and the person I spoke to said probably (given where I live), but, of course, he wouldn't test to make sure since I'm not a Rogers customer.

And now my connection is back up.

I also note the alert is gone now (and it was there this morning):

»rogershelp.com/wireless_button/ivr/

Hell of a coincidence

Gskill

join:2012-10-01
reply to TSI Outages

Ok this is starting to piss me off now.

Ever since the internet went out and then came back online, these have been my speeds:

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

It looks as though it's not Internet based but town based power outage. Looks like it's the power grid infrastructure being tested.

»www.hydroone.com/stormcenter/
Click at top right on Planned!

And robbers doesn't have a generator at their POI? I"m not sure which is worse.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Gskill

said by Gskill:

Ok this is starting to piss me off now.

Ever since the internet went out and then came back online, these have been my speeds:

[att=1]
[/BQUOTE
Test using the Nexicom Toronto server as that is where TekSavvy connects to the "internet".