uniqs

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

1 edit

BOGBS

Premium Member

[TWC] Samsung SMT-H3272 - No Picture If TV Not On First

Has anyone experienced any issue with the Samsung SMT-H3272, where you don't get a picture via HDMI, if the TV isn't turned on first? It also happens if the STB is on, had a picture, and the TV was shut off, and then turned back on. The resolution is to either pull the HDMI cable for a couple of seconds and re-seat, or power the STB off/on (not a full power cycle, just a regular off/on cycle). I've tried a full power cycle of the STB, with no difference.

I have a Samsung 32" TV, if that matters. I just got this STB the other day, to replace a SA 8300HD. It works a lot faster, except for the above issue. I haven't tried a new cable yet, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. It was working fine on the 8300HD, but I know how that goes (things break all of the time).
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by BOGBS:

Has anyone experienced any issue with the Samsung SMT-H3272, where you don't get a picture via HDMI, if the TV isn't turned on first? It also happens if the STB is on, had a picture, and the TV was shut off, and then turned back on. The resolution is to either pull the HDMI cable for a couple of seconds and re-seat, or power the STB off/on (not a full power cycle, just a regular off/on cycle). I've tried a full power cycle of the STB, with no difference.

I have a Samsung 32" TV, if that matters. I just got this STB the other day, to replace a SA 8300HD. It works a lot faster, except for the above issue. I haven't tried a new cable yet, but I figured I'd ask if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. It was working fine on the 8300HD, but I know how that goes (things break all of the time).

There are several things, you could try:

1.) Double check under Settings for Picture, Audio, and Output Resolution on the box, that you are set for HDMI cable with the new box.

2.) First, with everything off, unplug the cable box, HDMI cable, and the TV for about five minutes. Than with everything still off, reconnect everything and power up the equipment. What happens? The problem may come back right away, or in a few days.

3.) If the problem comes back:

A. Switch to a different HDMI cable-have the TV and box off when you connect the cable. Did that work and hold? If not

B. Google Search for the make and model of your remote and reprogram your remote so that the TV and cable box turn off and on together. YOU SHOULD GO THROUGH ALL OF THE CODES TO FIND THE ONE THE WORKS COMPLETELY. It's rare, but sometimes with a box swap, you might have to reprogram your remote to turn your TV on and off with the box.

4.) If step 3B does not work

A. Switch to Component Cables. Check your box settings to make sure they match with the cables

B. If that doesn't work, swap the box out for a Cisco model.

Satch

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

BOGBS

Premium Member

Thanks for the things to try. I'll have to give it a whirl later on tonight.